Medtronic keeps coming disconnected

Tweety88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello,

Posting on behalf of my mum.

She has a Medtronic 640g and it keeps coming disconnected when she either gets her hand stuck in it (she has had a stroke, so doesnt find things easy) or it comes out overnight.

She currently uses micropore to tape it down, which isn’t ideal. She used to use bioclusive, but it doesn’t seem to be available anymore, only with a pad in, she just wants the like plastic covering.

She also thinks the sites are becoming too lumpy to absorb insulin properly. She used to use the stomach, and has tried to use the top of her legs but this only adds to the problems with the tubing coming out! Due to having a stoke where she can put the pump is restricted.

Only seems to be getting text book answers or not practical answers, if she can get in contact with the DSN at all!

Hope this makes sense!

Any ideas?

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
found that micropore tape is not satisfactory for this purpose, it just does stay on.
Are you by any chance saying that the cannula (the needle type bit that goes under the skin, either teflon/plastic or metal) gets dislodged when your mother catches the tubing? I use a different pump but I have had that exact thing happened to me unless I tape it down. I use Hypafix 10cm x 10m that I bought from Boots, cut to size. (I am now looking for a cheaper source, perhaps on the internet. ) Anyhow, when the cannula is on my thigh, I place the tape on top of the cannula and over at least 15cm of the tubing. Then when I catch the tubing, for instance when in the loo, it does not dislodge the cannula. If I place the cannula in my stomach, then I may need to use less tape. Good luck.
I

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I get Opsite Flexifix on prescription. It come in a roll so you can cut off strips the size you require. I use it instead of the Medtronic tapes that come with the cgm sensors.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use SkinTac for my CGM, I've heard of some using it for pump cannulas too. If you do use this you need something like liftplus to remove them otherwise you'll get very sore skin. LiftPlus is available on prescription.

Bill Wireman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have used a fan-ny pack using it to hold the pump while applied over the infusion site. This will allow you to keep the plastic tubing exposure to a minimum as most of it is stored behind the waist strap with just a small loop being exposed. I have been using my waist to inject 4-6 shots a day for over 50 years before using the pump, so the problems with the sites may be better explained by randomly pulling on the tubing causing it to bend restricting the insulin flow. With the use of a fan-ny pack you should not require any additional tape on the infusion site which will help to limit rashes or irritation caused from the adhesives.
I found my pack at SPCA rummage store where I volunteer, paying $1 for a cheap solution after washing the unit before usage with the pump. Oh, rotate the fan-ny pack so it located directly above the infusion site before usage for the best result.
I am using, the case logic portable cd player waist belt fan-ny pack travel case discman, as it has a cutout on top flap to feed the tubing through, but you can of course modify any of the packs available to make it work for you.

Last edited: