Medtrum Nano Patch Pump

AllyMac70

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm new to this forum and was wondering if anyone can help with regards to their experiences of using the Medtrum Nano Patch pump yet? My daughter has tried the Omnipod but unfortunately she mounts an auto-immune reaction to the teflon cannula, so our DSN has suggested the Medtrum as an option, as it has a metal cannula instead, which should reduce the risk of allergic reaction.

We like the idea of using a mobile phone to control the pump, as this makes it more discreet (daughter is 12 and going through a very awkward stage), the pods hold the same amount of insulin as the Omnipod and you can set temporary basal rates (good for sport), which you aren't able to do with the Omnipod.

Is anyone able to share their experiences, both good and bad, of using this system, as we don't want to have another pump disaster if we can help it. I know this might be a shot in the dark, as the system is relatively new to the UK market, and Omnipod seem to have cornered the patch pump market over here, so there may be very few, if any, users, who are able to help. Anyway, here's hoping...

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give me with this.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been using the Medtrum for nearly 3 years and the Nano since September.
It is small and discreet. I like the control from my phone (although there is a PSM if you want). It is easy to set up. I often use the temporary basal or suspension when exercising.
The cannula is metal and I have no reaction to it. However, unlike the Omnipod, it goes in at 90 degrees so maybe a little deeper.
I am sensitive to the glue used so need Cavilon.
I have experienced more occlusions than I would like but Medtrum give the impression I am rate and have tried to investigate and replace the patches.
The Medtrum customer support is excellent and it is easy to request new patches.

AllyMac70

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you In Response for coming back so quickly. I think you have a choice of 6mm or 8mm cannulas, so may opt for the former if we go down this route. Have been in contact with their customer support and they are going to send us a couple of dummy patches to try out for a few days to see if it is right for my daughter.

Thanks for the pointer r.e. the 90 degree angle of insertion. Have you knocked your pump whilst wearing it and if so, did it hurt - better to know these things rather than find out after the fact. Also, are you using their CGM with the pump? If so, is it any good?

I like how they do that - we were told that the auto-immune response to the Omnipod was rare too, but if you read these forums, it's more common that they care to admit.

Apologies for all of the questions.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have never knocked my pump. I do sometimes place it somewhere uncomfortable to lie on but it has never been knocked.

I do not use their CGM and they don't offer free trials.
I have the Libre on prescription so my CCG ate not interested at looking at the Medtrum CGM even though I understand the price is similar.

Regarding reactions to glue and the like, remember Human nature is to complain. Few people will start a thread saying they have no reaction. So fora will always be biased towards the negative.

Last edited:

derivadow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I've being using the Nano for a couple of month, my experience so far...

Positives:
1. It is tiny which is good for the obvious reasons but also means it is easier to find a fresh site;
2. I like the redundancy offered by being able to use the PDM (which is also tiny) or phone
3. The battery is in the disposable bit of the patch so you don't need to carry around spare batteries
4. Generally there is a lot less stuff to carry about
5. Really good customer care and support
6. Easy to use and I use temp basal, suspend a lot + have different basal rates depending on whether it is on my arm or tummy

Negatives:
7. I'm a bit sensitive to the glue (about to try Cavilon)
8. I had a duff box (the battery depleted before the end of the pump) but because the customer care is so good it didn't really matter - I had a replacement box within a couple of days.
9. Like all d-tech there's a lack of data integration so I need to copy data from the Libre into the PDM/ app
10. The software (web and mobile) could do with a bit of TLC - it is fine, does what it needs to do but just a bit rough around the edges and the reports/ data views aren't ideal

I would certainly recommend it and FWIW the cannula doesn't cause any problems for me at all.

AllyMac70

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your reply, @derivadow - I'll look into Cavilon, in case my daughter also reacts a bit to the glue.

I've just received a couple of trial pods in the post (without the pump itself) just to see how it feels - I cannot get over how tiny it is compared to the Omnipod.

Reactions: derivadow

derivadow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck @AllyMac70 I hope it works out for you... I know what you mean about the size, it is tiny as is the PDM.

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
Hi @AllyMac70
I've used medtrum nano since Nov last year, I wasn't keen on cavilon, but happy place for me is 2x layers of hypafix tape (cut a hole for the needle) and a patch over the top (because the pump doesn't stick well to the hypafix tape).

currently using these covers 10x Freestyle Libre Cgm Sensor Sticker Protective Patch,any Colour,Up To 10cm | eBay
The large oval just covers it, but it extra large is easier, and it could be trimmed down a little if too big (and who wouldn't want a pink camo patch) :happy: x

Bennykw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm new to this forum and was wondering if anyone can help with regards to their experiences of using the Medtrum Nano Patch pump yet? My daughter has tried the Omnipod but unfortunately she mounts an auto-immune reaction to the teflon cannula, so our DSN has suggested the Medtrum as an option, as it has a metal cannula instead, which should reduce the risk of allergic reaction.

We like the idea of using a mobile phone to control the pump, as this makes it more discreet (daughter is 12 and going through a very awkward stage), the pods hold the same amount of insulin as the Omnipod and you can set temporary basal rates (good for sport), which you aren't able to do with the Omnipod.

Is anyone able to share their experiences, both good and bad, of using this system, as we don't want to have another pump disaster if we can help it. I know this might be a shot in the dark, as the system is relatively new to the UK market, and Omnipod seem to have cornered the patch pump market over here, so there may be very few, if any, users, who are able to help. Anyway, here's hoping...

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give me with this.
Hi Would not recommend it, i use medtrum. But there are many faults with nanopump.
Take a look at ypsopump.com.

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
You could ask about a trial at your clinic, as far as I know there is no contract with medtrum so if it doesn't work out you could ask to change it.
I use the pdm not phone so unable to comment there (old and non-techy here)

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You could ask about a trial at your clinic, as far as I know there is no contract with medtrum so if it doesn't work out you could ask to change it.
I use the pdm not phone so unable to comment there (old and non-techy here)
My clinic has a contract with Medtrum. They need it to be able to pay them.

vans

Hiya.
I'm trying out the nano patch pump and agree with a lot posted above - love the small size but my skin doesn't like the glue.
Medrum rep sent me some underpatches which help but aren't as sticky so also using Skin-Tac to help adhesion.

Also, I've just got a new phone and the app seems to be draining my battery hugely. Has anyone else had this problem? I think having to give the app permission to always be on etc is taking a huge toll on the battery.

Whiskeydram

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hiya.
I'm trying out the nano patch pump and agree with a lot posted above - love the small size but my skin doesn't like the glue.
Medrum rep sent me some underpatches which help but aren't as sticky so also using Skin-Tac to help adhesion.

Also, I've just got a new phone and the app seems to be draining my battery hugely. Has anyone else had this problem? I think having to give the app permission to always be on etc is taking a huge toll on the battery.
I have a problem with app displaying “To activate the Insulin Pump function, please contact your account representative.” So won’t be surprised if it wastes battery.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have a problem with app displaying “To activate the Insulin Pump function, please contact your account representative.” So won’t be surprised if it wastes battery.
I don’t understand how the error message drains the battery.
have you tried turning the phone in and off or closing down the app (force close) and restarting it?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi

I am thinking of applying the nano pump to my 2 year old son

Anyone tested it combined with the nano cgm?
I use both the Medtrum pump and CGM.
It is not Hybrid Closed Loop - the CGM only provides basal suspension when BG is low or going low although Medtrum have been talking about (and have trialled) HCL so I am expecting it soon.
Generally, I find the CGM better than Libre but maybe this is because I always check (and, if necessary calibrate ) the sensor against finger prick at least once a day. This gives me peace of mind and is one thing I disliked about the Libre.
I find the basal suspend fantastic to minimise hypos. Sometimes it can take a bit long to restart which can then lead to me going higher than I would like but I am talking about 9 or 10mmol/l not 19 or 20 mmol/l.
I am sure there are better options if HCL is important but for size and convenience (and availability as my clinic do not offer many pumps), I am happy with Medtrum.

There again, I am a little older than 2 years old.

Reactions: Grumpy ole thing

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi, I have medtrum nano pump which I love as its tiny, but have not tried their cgm. Their system auto suspends for a low, but is not a hcl system, though I have been told its possible for anyone with technical capabilities (def not me).

For info it might be worth checking with your (son's) DSN as everyone under 18 (in England and Wales) is eligible to use a hybrid closed loop (hcl) system, which is just starting to be rolled out.

At some point I will be swapping my medtrum for omnipod 5, which will loop with dexcom g6.

hope all goes well x

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've used both CGM and the Nano pump.

The positives of the pump are well described here, however, bear in mind that you should change steel cannulas every two days, not every three, because of the damage the sharp tips do. The pump seems to be set up for three days use, so it's something to be aware of.

The CGM on the other hand, is terrible. It's not good enough to safely use for low glucose suspend, let alone as part of a closed loop, in its current form. It regularly reads a long way from either Dexcom, Libre2 or blood and I wouldn't consider it safe. https://www.diabettech.com/cgm/medtrum-nano-cgm-a-tale-of-two-sensors/

• Informative
Reactions: In Response

johnnyf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hiya.

Hi vans, is skin-tac skin glue? If so I would need this for my cgm to help with adhesion. Can you give me the link for this please so I can try it out? TIA

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi vans, is skin-tac skin glue? If so I would need this for my cgm to help with adhesion. Can you give me the link for this please so I can try it out? TIA
I have used SkinTac as a wipe. It makes skin sticky so the pump or cannula sticks better. It also provides a protective layer if you find it irritates.
It is less commonly used with CGMs where the usual approach is to cover a sensor to keep it in place. This is to ensure your skin is clean and nothing is attached to the filament when it penetrates.
Have you tried any CGM covers? There is a selection available from eBay and Amazon.

Edited to add a link to SkinTac https://www.amazon.co.uk/Torbot-Skin-Tac-H-Adhesive-Barrier-Wipes/ although this is not a recommendation due to the reasons above. And it may not be the cheapest place to buy them.