Meter readings

princessleia29

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I took a meter reading about 10 minutes ago and it was 9.4 but I was curious about it so I took it again and it was 8.4 can it vary depending on what finger you test? Sorry if this sounds silly but I am very new to this and I want to test accurately any advice/thoughts appreciated :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Marieukxx

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm newly diagnosed so I don't know. Did you wash and dry your hands first?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Yes, it can vary from the same drop of blood from the same finger ! Treat these readings as a guide, don't worry about the odd dodgy reading. The meters have a tolerance of up to 15% or so.

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's within the error rate of meter and strips +/-20%

Edit , you type faster than me, mo
Your reply wasn't there when I started :)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
T2
Before breakfast 3x
Before tea 3x
2hr after 5x
11strips
New meal, before, 1,2,3 hr after x3 meals 12strips

25 strips a week and a good data collection

When I started 100 strips lasted 5 days

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
Ah ok I didn't know that I have become a bit obsessive with testing lately it can easily make me feel good/bad depending on the result :(
Never be alarmed by test results. Instead, be educated. If they are high (or low) try to work out the cause then change that factor next time for better future results.

Reactions: 8 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes the results can vary from finger to finger and also from different tests from the same finger, as your glucose levels keep changing. Try not to obsess about individual readings - you are really (going to be) checking your meter readings for trends or patterns over time, and for testing foods to see what will spike your blood sugar. All our tests can really be are guides, and unfortunately it's not an exact science. Once you know roughly what you should expect, then you can be concerned about unusual levels, and as Alan says, learn what might be causing these.

Look at the recommended target blood glucose levels here, and aim to get, firstly, close to and then, eventually, if possible , lower than these.

Robbity