meter readings

brianzion_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all I just joined the forums and may I say what a fantastic place of Knowledge and a informative comprehensive forum it is!
I have only recently been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and just getting used to testing myself once in the morning before breakfast and once before tea.
I just cant seem to get my levels done below 8 at the moment they are between 8 and 11 my diabetic nurse tells me to be patient and wait for the medication to get used to my body I am exercising 1 hr in the morning and 1hr in the evening walking and cycling and follow a very healthy eating plan with my diet and in myself I feel much better than before I was diagnosed apart from my eyes which I am having a new eye test next week, I need my glasses all the time now because I have blurred vision the majority of the day, I am booked in for the eye screening next month. Has anyone having/had the same as what I am experiencing? :(

Reactions: 2 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @brianzion_

If you give us an idea of what you eat we may be able to spot something that is pushing your sugars up higher than you want them, although yes, your meds may still be kicking in. I haven't got probs with my eyes but someone else will be along that can help :)

Abbie

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forums, @daisy1 will be along with your welcome pack soon .. When you say 'healthy eating ' is this from the drs guidelines ? As this will raise your sugar levels anyway as it's not diabetec friendly. You should find your eyes will return to what's normal to you after you have got your sugar levels under control. Do put an exzample of what your eating .. Then we can see what's holding your sugar levels up. Also it helps if you test just before eating then 2 hrs after eating .. Gives a better overview of what's going on.

brianzion_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi Mrsass
example ;I have oats and raisins/apple semi semi-skimmed milk decaffeinated coffee for breakfast lunch; salad leaves half apple small slice ham cup of tea and for tea; small potatoes small piece of chicken (not fried) carrots cabbage peas. I have no extra salt in my diet no extra sugar chocolate i may have the odd digestive and a oat cake.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Hi @brianzion

There's a load of stuff in there that would spike me a LOT!! Discard the raisins, the apple and the potatoes one by one and re test. The only way you'll know what you can tolerate.

Stick around please :)

Reactions: 6 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok Brian, food wise .. I could not eat this ... Oats.. Raisins .. Apple .. Along with semi skimmed milk is not great ... Oats are full of carbs and carbs turn to sugar when eaten ... Low fat milk is also not good .. Try swapping for full fat or cream ... Raisins and apples also full of sugar .. Try swapping to berries...
Potatoes again are high in carbs as are carrots and peas .. So while your trying to get the sugars down I would avoid the peas and potatoes. And fry the chicken .. And again your oat cakes would be keeping your sugars high.
There are many ways of getting your sugars down diet wise and its your choice of how to do this .. Have a look round the forums and you will find a lot of us myself included are following the low carb higher fat eating plan. it works for me :angelic:

Reactions: 5 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@brianzion_

Hello Brian and welcome to the forum :)

As Mike and Enclave say, you have quite a lot of carby foods in your list which will put your levels up. Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. There is a lot of information about carbs in here. Ask all the questions you like and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 140,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Reactions: 3 people

brianzion_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok Brian, food wise .. I could not eat this ... Oats.. Raisins .. Apple .. Along with semi skimmed milk is not great ... Oats are full of carbs and carbs turn to sugar when eaten ... Low fat milk is also not good .. Try swapping for full fat or cream ... Raisins and apples also full of sugar .. Try swapping to berries...
Potatoes again are high in carbs as are carrots and peas .. So while your trying to get the sugars down I would avoid the peas and potatoes. And fry the chicken .. And again your oat cakes would be keeping your sugars high.
There are many ways of getting your sugars down diet wise and its your choice of how to do this .. Have a look round the forums and you will find a lot of us myself included are following the low carb higher fat eating plan. it works for me :angelic:

thanks I will definitely look into this "low carb diet" :)

Reactions: 5 people

brianzion_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@brianzion_

Hello Brian and welcome to the forum :)

As Mike and Enclave say, you have quite a lot of carby foods in your list which will put your levels up. Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. There is a lot of information about carbs in here. Ask all the questions you like and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 140,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Thanks for all the reference's much appreciated :)

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope you find your vision will return to what's normal for you . Once your sugar returns to normal . The low carb diet needs the higher fat part to work, so do read up here about how to get the balance right
Also ask questions .. We have been there and I am wearing the Tshirt

MissPooh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oat cakes were something that got me at first, I wasn't best pleased when I discovered what they did to my BS :(.
I used to love my weetabix and raisins for brekkie, but that's a thing of the past too - replaced by berries and natural yogurt - delicious :).
It's such a massive learning curve the folks here are terrific

Reactions: 4 people

brianzion_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks all!
I am booked onto a "TYPE 2 DIABETES GROUP EDUCATION COURSE" in June my diabetic nurse put me forward for, its a two 3hr course so I look forward to this as well as following this forums great advice :)

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
You could find your eyesight will change after the meds kick in and you change your diet. Your bg should reduce and this will probably affect your vision. So possibly hold off the eye test until your blood sugar is stabilized.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: 4 people

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all!
I am booked onto a "TYPE 2 DIABETES GROUP EDUCATION COURSE" in June my diabetic nurse put me forward for, its a two 3hr course so I look forward to this as well as following this forums great advice :)

Hi Brian and welcome to the forum, it's pretty much all been said above, a low carb diet is essential for blood control among diabetics, in fact a low carb diet is what everyone should be eating in my opinion, this includes non diabetics also, it is simply a healthy diet by modern standards.

With regards to your diabetes education course, I'm not sure how up to date it's going to be. Current NHS advice hasn't really changed in 30 years, and for the most part is outdated.

My advice would most defiantly be to attend the course as there will be all kinds of data that will be useful, I would advocate the advice given here on this forum as solid, accurate and ahead of the curve. This is clearly validated again and again by numbers.

Best of luck.
Daks

brianzion_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Brian and welcome to the forum, it's pretty much all been said above, a low carb diet is essential for blood control among diabetics, in fact a low carb diet is what everyone should be eating in my opinion, this includes non diabetics also, it is simply a healthy diet by modern standards.

With regards to your diabetes education course, I'm not sure how up to date it's going to be. Current NHS advice hasn't really changed in 30 years, and for the most part is outdated.

My advice would most defiantly be to attend the course as there will be all kinds of data that will be useful, I would advocate the advice given here on this forum as solid, accurate and ahead of the curve. This is clearly validated again and again by numbers.

Best of luck.
Daks

thanks when i have attended i will update forum with a thread with my findings

BlueSkies

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi all I just joined the forums and may I say what a fantastic place of Knowledge and a informative comprehensive forum it is!
I have only recently been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and just getting used to testing myself once in the morning before breakfast and once before tea.
I just cant seem to get my levels done below 8 at the moment they are between 8 and 11 my diabetic nurse tells me to be patient and wait for the medication to get used to my body I am exercising 1 hr in the morning and 1hr in the evening walking and cycling and follow a very healthy eating plan with my diet and in myself I feel much better than before I was diagnosed apart from my eyes which I am having a new eye test next week, I need my glasses all the time now because I have blurred vision the majority of the day, I am booked in for the eye screening next month. Has anyone having/had the same as what I am experiencing? :(

Hello Brianzion
I hope you gradually see a decrease in your blood glucose levels with the metformin & gliclazide. If it becomes difficult or overwhelming thinking about all the carbohydrates (sugars and starches) and different information relevant to it, as everyone is so different, this may (or may not) help, I hope it helps:- making many changes is difficult and may be even more difficult to change for life, if this is the case, start one small step at a time until it becomes a habit, then move on to the next. Any small change in reducing carbohydrates and 'maintained' will gradually over time make a difference to your diabetes by not making your pancreas (the organ which produces the insulin) work too hard. Therefore, if for example, you really enjoy the breakfast that you mention below, but find that testing before breakfast and then 1.5 to 2 hours after breakfast that it has increased your levels too much, it may help to for example (it is your choice), to reduce the amount of some of the carbs, e.g. the raisins to see whether this helps?, or reduce the amount of oats etc (one thing at a time). Key to keeping your blood glucose lower is fibre, e.g. whole grains, nuts etc high in fibre, if you imagine your body has to work hard at breaking them down, therefore the carbs from them enter your blood more slowly and help prevent the high peaks in blood sugar levels. What ever you find helps you, remember a small change made over a long period of time & maintained is better that sudden changes which do not last. Important, If you want to really know how your blood sugar levels are doing, you need to test before the food and approx. 2 hours after food to know what the difference is. I know many practices tell people to test e.g. once in the morning & maybe once at night, but this is telling you nothing about the foods you are eating nor the effect they are having - it is only telling you a number in that specific moment in time and irrelevant to any foods you have. For example, you may have a 9 in the evening and think that your evening meal was bad, but if you do not know what your blood glucose level was before the meal, it is impossible to know. It may have been 8 before the meal, in which case your blood glucose only went up 1 point which would mean that meal was absolutely fine.

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and welcome Brian! You are in the absolute right place for lots of great, tried and tested advice, support and encouragement now! Keep posting, keep asking, keep testing lots (it's the only way to get control and see what you can tolerate and can't) you will in time get to the point where you know what's ok and eventually ease up on the the constant testing for every item once you know how you respond to certain things. Low carb higher fat is excellent at bs reduction and control (weight loss too- which came as a surprise to me!!) Think of it not as a "diet" but a lifestyle choice to make you feel so much different!

brianzion_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Brianzion
I hope you gradually see a decrease in your blood glucose levels with the metformin & gliclazide. If it becomes difficult or overwhelming thinking about all the carbohydrates (sugars and starches) and different information relevant to it, as everyone is so different, this may (or may not) help, I hope it helps:- making many changes is difficult and may be even more difficult to change for life, if this is the case, start one small step at a time until it becomes a habit, then move on to the next. Any small change in reducing carbohydrates and 'maintained' will gradually over time make a difference to your diabetes by not making your pancreas (the organ which produces the insulin) work too hard. Therefore, if for example, you really enjoy the breakfast that you mention below, but find that testing before breakfast and then 1.5 to 2 hours after breakfast that it has increased your levels too much, it may help to for example (it is your choice), to reduce the amount of some of the carbs, e.g. the raisins to see whether this helps?, or reduce the amount of oats etc (one thing at a time). Key to keeping your blood glucose lower is fibre, e.g. whole grains, nuts etc high in fibre, if you imagine your body has to work hard at breaking them down, therefore the carbs from them enter your blood more slowly and help prevent the high peaks in blood sugar levels. What ever you find helps you, remember a small change made over a long period of time & maintained is better that sudden changes which do not last. Important, If you want to really know how your blood sugar levels are doing, you need to test before the food and approx. 2 hours after food to know what the difference is. I know many practices tell people to test e.g. once in the morning & maybe once at night, but this is telling you nothing about the foods you are eating nor the effect they are having - it is only telling you a number in that specific moment in time and irrelevant to any foods you have. For example, you may have a 9 in the evening and think that your evening meal was bad, but if you do not know what your blood glucose level was before the meal, it is impossible to know. It may have been 8 before the meal, in which case your blood glucose only went up 1 point which would mean that meal was absolutely fine.

thanks BlueSkies my levels are coming down since I have changed the carbs after reading the advice in the forum and I am testing more logically (it seems to me that the diabetic nurse whom I see as lovely and professional as she is may have told me to test once a day because the health service try and save money on the usage of testing strips/lancets etc)

BlueSkies

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
thanks BlueSkies my levels are coming down since I have changed the carbs after reading the advice in the forum and I am testing more logically (it seems to me that the diabetic nurse whom I see as lovely and professional as she is may have told me to test once a day because the health service try and save money on the usage of testing strips/lancets etc)

That's great news Brianzion, sounds like you're already on the right road and you've found it yourself. Yes you are right, money and blood glucose strips is a key issue in the NHS but you have the right to them. Wishing you all the best.