Meters which is best

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well here's an update
My accu check has provided me with consistency in its readings and when it told me that I was at 3.7 I did indeed start to suffer a hypo
The care sense N was showing me three points above at 6.8 this was from the same drop of blood as a sample
I had taken the care sense back to the diabetes clinic and they took it away they
Then gave me a tee 2 Meter and I went home and tested them all together this is the results all taken from the same drop of blood at the same time
Caresens n 8.8 tee2 9.5 accu check 7.3 now I get there will be a difference between the meters but this results in my opinion is way out and could be the difference between driving legal and not also being safe at work
I called the helpline at spirit health care and got through to a rather snotty woman that insisted their meters were correct and that's that I asked her to explain why the Caresens N showed me 6.8 as the accu check showed 3.7 and indeed had a hypo and got the scripted answer we are confident out meters are correct
I will not be using any of the NHS meters which are cheap and made in Korea. As opposed to the better made easier to use and in my honest opinion more accurate accu check
There is something amiss in all of this

I am using my Accu Chek Mobile because of its convenience and less risk of strip contamination. However, I do feel it gives somewhat flattering readings. The Codefree does read higher, but not by large amounts, on average. What I find annoying about the Codefree is the inconsistency between batches (lot numbers) of strips. Change from one lot number to a different lot number when you receive a new order and you can see great variations between the two. Also even within the same lot number, there can be noticeable variations between tubs.

Barrie14184

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi I use the accu chek nano and get my test strips from eBay £12 to £15 for 50 test strips all unopened with a long use by date
That's the one I use and find it spot on for ease and accuracy it's more expensive on the strips and cassettes but it works and works well, the NHS is under pressure I understand that but the company supplying them should be made to make sure the equipment is right and fit for purpose the build quality of the Tee 2 is poor at best and it's performance is shockingly bad, I tested twice with the same meter on the same drop and got two readings two units out with in seconds so for me buy cheap buy twice
It's costing more in the long run, I'm probably being ott but I have to know what I'm doing and using is right, the meters supplied have not even been near to each other with the results let alone near the accu check so what is the point if they are so far out.
Baz

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Prem51, I'm currently using the sd codefree but thinking it's now in need of replacing. Would be interested to hear how the tee2 meter performs.
@chocoholicnomore I received the Tee2 meter today, within 12 hours of ordering. Postage was free. The box contains the meter with batteries already inserted, 10 test strips, lancet holder and 10 lancets, two vials of testing solution, instructions, diary and carrying wallet. I had also ordered two packs of 50 test strips which arrived in the same packet.

I set up the meter (date and time) and tested the reading with the testing solution. It was within the guidelines.
I didn't like the look of the lancets provided so I used my Accu Chek Fast Clix lancet and tested on both my Accu Chek Mobile and the new Tee2. The results were exactly the same - 6.2 (I'd had a cup of tea and two Rich Tea biscuits about 20 minutes earlier).
So it was only one test but the Tee2 seems to be accurate. I'll do more comparison tests over the next few days to confirm it's accuracy, and let you know how it goes.

Last edited:
Reactions: chocoholicnomore

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Looking at this from a different angle, I am using an Accu-Chek Mobile, which is very good.

Before lunch, which was very late today, I had a reading of 4.2.
I just could not believe this, so I cross checked with my Codefree.
It read 5.4, which is far more like it.

I then did another test with the Accu Chek. It read 5.3.

So even the expensive better meters aren't totally reliable.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
So it was only one test but the Tee2 seems to be accurate. I'll do more comparison tests over the next few days to confirm it's accuracy, and let you know how it goes.
@chocoholicnomore Well I've been using the TEE2 for a week now.When I used the Accu Chek Mobile at the same time the results were:
26/2 0750 ACM 6.2 T2 6.5
27/2 0445 ACM 5.5 T2 6.2
1/3 2145 ACM 5.3 T2 5.4
2/3 0400 ACM 5.6 T2 5.6
4/3 2200 ACM 5.8 T2 5.4
5/3 2215 ACM 5.8 T2 5.5
6/3 0415 ACM 6.0 T2 6.7
So the TEE2 readings vary from being a bit over to a bit below the Accu Chek Mobile. I think the Accu Chek Mobile is more consistent and accurate than the TEE2. But not a huge difference between the two. I will continue to use the Accu Chek for my fbgs, but use the TEE2 for after meal readings as the tests are cheaper.

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had my Tee2 for a couple of weeks now, it consistently reads up to 1mmol higher than my Bayer Contour Next. For instance, if my fasting is 5.9 on Bayer the Tee2 will normally read around 6.5mmol. The same difference continues throughout the day. My Codefree is a bit hit and miss but normally produces a reading somewhere between the 2.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Barrie14184
I was given the website at: https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/ for the SD Codefree meter and I ordered one which arrived a couple of weeks ago. While I was waiting for this I also found the website at: http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/ who distribute the TEE 2 meter, which is free. I have been using both for comparative purposes since Feb 16th .. I have not had a difference greater than 0.1mmol on any test

In a recent email, I received details of the new T2 testing programme offer: https://www.type2testing.com. This also has a free meter with test strips and lancets available for either quarterly or annual delivery (paid in advance). The strips and lancets seem reasonably priced .. just a little bit more expensive than other similar offers .. so I think I'll stick with my TEE 2 package.
My recommendation is that the TEE 2 is a little easier to understand and a bit more user-friendly The strips and lancets are relatively cheap and there's a free USB lead and CD programme for recording and monitoring your results.
Hope this helps

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd like to think the accucheck mobile is accurate but I have my doubts as it consistently reads lower than the tee2 but then again can give the same reading if around 6.

The Tee2 does read slightly higher on readings closer to 6 but having used over 500 strips, it is consistent, I have no doubts there.

The codefree in my opinion is next to useless and is often miles out. I've given up and packed it away. In fact if anyone wants to pay postage, I'm happy to donate it to anyone who is desperate for a meter.

Personally, I'm going to try and reduce the number of tests I do as my diet is fairly consistent now and I know what I can get away with eating.

Having said all that, having a meter has proved invaluable. I have worked out that I need to eat before 7pm and that I wake up at the same level that I went to bed at with a very small variation usually. I also know when I liver dump after waking and during the day and what to do to prevent it.

None of this would have been possible without a meter so for that I am thankful.

Reactions: AM1874

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I tend to switch between my contour next usb which I find fairly accurate and has some useful extras like being able to log carbs and if you are on insulin the ability to log insulin also and it's software is held on the machine. Though strips are dearer than my code free or Tee2 strips The Tee2 is also quite accurate and the strips are no dearer than the code free though I must say I have not had any problems with the code free either.

You pay your money and take your chances a more expensive machine does not always guarantee better performance than the cheaper machines.