Metformin and a fuzzy head?

charlietedd

Hello,
I am the OH of a recently diagnosed type 2 diabetic. This is all brand new to us as nobody in either family has suffered diabetes before. OH has been prescribed 3 x 500mg of Metformin per day. Is it normal to have what can only be described as a fuzzy head for most of the day, as well as moderate lethargy?
Help please :) :?

Unbeliever

charlietedd said:
Hello,
I am the OH of a recently diagnosed type 2 diabetic. This is all brand new to us as nobody in either family has suffered diabetes before. OH has been prescribed 3 x 500mg of Metformin per day. Is it normal to have what can only be described as a fuzzy head for most of the day, as well as moderate lethargy?
Help please :) :?

Most have stomach problems but I had problems with my balance , coordination and even speech. You could cerainly say I had a "fuzzy head" Some hink I still have!

I have read posts from a few others abou hese pronblems so I would say - not usual- but not unheard of. Is it Metformin SR? If not ask to change . Fewer side effects Hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

Hi, do you mean a fuzzy head as a side effect of the Metformin, because that's not something i've heard of. But it does sound like the sort of feeling from your blood sugars being high generally. Try to get a blood reading when it happens, if you have a meter.

palas

Hi

I was diagnosed on the 11th April and put on 500mg metformin. 1 + 1. By 13th it was 2 + 1 and by the 16th it was 2 + 2, which is the dose I am currently on, so one more than your OH.

I've not had a fuzzy head, BUT I remember having a extremely fuzzy head prior to my diagnosis when my BG must have been around the 15 mark. Sometimes now about 45 mins after I eat I get extremely head-noddingly tired and I certainly can't think staight whilst I'm so tired. Only lasts for about 30 mins though. It doesn't happen with every meal, usually when I've eaten bread.

My side effects have been more "the other end", although not every day. However, every day I do feel sick after taking my morning metformin. Usually lasts for about an hour.

charlietedd

Morning!

Thanks for your responses.

We are going to see our gp tonight for an update on bloods taken last week and hopefully he can shed some light on this fuzzy head?

Every twinge or pain is so worrying though as it is all brand new and their is so much conflicting information to read.

Maybe that is the cause of his fuzzy head :?

A

Anonymous

I was just chatting to the missus about this, this morning. Realised that I've not had a cold or flu like symptoms this year (so far) despite being around others that are struck down with heavy colds. Last year I would have cold after cold. I don't have the sleepyness or fuzzy-head that I used to get - all since changing my diet to control my levels.

I did feel like a bit of a hypochondriac - always bugging the doc with back ache, muscle pain, problems with my hands and feet etc.. and it was all related to my diabetes. I bet once your OH gets his levels right a lot of the problems will disappear.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
The fuzzy head could be caused by the Metformin doing its job and lowering blood sugar levels. It can take a while to adjust to levels coming down. Give it a few days and see if it begins to pass.

charlietedd

Thanks for the tips and advice. OH feeling much better today just a bit nervous about trip to docs, but I guess he'll have to get used that. Will update on how we get on :D

Bobbo

I have been diagnosed less than 12 months and recently been put onto metformin 500 mg twice daily.I am having all these symptoms,fuzzy head ,vision,irritable. Usually worse middle of the day/ early afternoon.Any advice /help with diet,gratefully received. Thought i had my head around it,and then levels went up ,having been under control,hence the metformin.

elaine77

Hi I agree wi the posts above,

These symptoms are symptoms of BS levels dropping back into a more normal range rather than a side effect of the Metformin. Blurry vision can also be another symptom of dropping or elevating BS levels but would obviously be dropping in this case as ur OH has now been diagnosed and is being treated. Maybe ask the GP for a testing meter to check the BS levels to make sure the Metformin is working if you don't already have one.

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 22 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.