Metformin and gliclozide

grizwold

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi new to forum diagnosed 1 month ago sent to hospital after random blood test with reads of 33 plus and ketones readings of 16 ++++ after being discharched was put on 4 metformin 500mg and 4 gliclazide 80mg to be taken morning and evening my reads now are between 5 and 12 testing before food 3 times a day is this normal to be put on this medication. Clinic says I will be on tablets rest of my life and probabley have to go on insulin does this seem right as I have read on here people with my lower readings are not on any meds at all and jus control with diet.imreally confused because if I am type 2 I seem to be taking a lot of medication . and is it true type2 people do notsuffer hypos av I have read on here thank you . Dave. One very confused type 2 diabetic I think:rolleyes:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
HI and welcome. A lot depnds on your weight. If you have excess weight you may be a 'typical' T2 with insulin resistance. The Metformin will help a bit and the Gliclazide may or may not help. Glic stimulates the pancreas so it only helps if your body is short of insulin. If you are overwieght you may have too much insulin but the body can't use it. If you have a normal or lower BMI than you may be a Late onset T1 (LADA). The Glic may well help. If the dose is too large you can hypo with it so keep an eye on the meter. A LADA will normally progress to insulin as I have done. An overweight T2 once back to a normal BMI thru a low-carb diet may well be able to reduce the tablets. HCPs can often get the inititial diagnosis wrong as they did for me and I was on three different tablets for a few years as 'guesswork'. Weight is a big indicator.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and a warm welcome.

Wow .... those results in hospital were high! Thank goodness you got sorted out.

You will be confused, we all were at first, but it doesn't last long. If you grab this now and start to take control you can bring your current readings right down, but it will require some effort on your part. The medication will help, but a correct diet is the key. Plenty of people on here have come off meds altogether so unless your pancreas is totally knackered you may be able to avoid insulin. If your pancreas is still producing natural insulin you may avoid having artificial insulin.

Good to see you have a meter, but testing before meals without testing 2 hours after your first bite isn't telling you much. (the 5 reading is excellent. The 12 is not) Test before and 2 hrs later. Look at the difference. More than 2mmol/l and there are too many carbs in that meal which need to be reduced in portion size or avoided completely. Bread, rice, spuds, pasta and anything made with flour are the main culprits. Until you get your levels down and stabilised, I would avoid all those. You may be able to re-introduce some of them in small portions once you are lower.

Please have a good read round and ask as many questions as you wish.

@daisy1 will be along soon with some good advice for newly diagnosed. Good luck.

Reactions: 3 people

Moniker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome. Lots of friendly people and good advice here.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@grizwold

Hello Dave and welcome to the forum :)

You have already received some good advice from members and here is some more information which we give to new members. Ask as many questions as you need to and more members will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 130,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi Griswold, welcome :)

For many T2s it is perfectly feasible to get your blood sugars under control and come off most if not all meds. Reducing carbs is the key, and it's a lifestyle change, not just a 'diet'.

The reason the clinic said you will be on tablets the rest of your life and probably have to go onto insulin is because they have a mindset linked to the stupid carb-rich diet that NICE recommends which, if you follow it, almost certainly will take you down the road to more drugs. T2 does not have to be an inevitably declining condition, but it needs some discipline to manage it.

Have a read of the thread linked in my sig below, and www.dietdoctor.com/lchf which you may find useful.

But don't panic, take some time to read around and ask any questions.

grizwold

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks guys mI amnot an over weight person well I dont think i am. I am 5ft 11 inch tall and weigh 13.5 stone thanks again for replys this diabeties is a minefeild.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
That's a BMI of just over 26 which is only marginally above the ideal range.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Dave, high ketone levels like you describe are actually very rare in T2 diabetics as they are associated with very low levels of insulin and if left unchecked they can lead to a dangerous condition called Ketoacidosis and it is usually only T1's who develop this condition.

I am surprised that you were not put straight on insulin treatment with such high levels TBH, are you sure about the levels or could you have been mistaken.

grizwold

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sid the levels are correct took over a week to get rid of ketones I have been free since then I check everyday as instructed and was told to go to A and E if they return clinic was going to put me on insulinxmas eve . but I said I would only wanted to do this at a last resort thats when they put my tablets to 2 of each since then my Bg has reduced to the reads they are now and I ring them into clinic at a regular basis they just tell me to carry on doing what I am doing thats what confuses me if I had have gone on insulin I would be classed as type 1 because I am on tablets am I classed as type 2 . dont get it

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't be confused. Plenty of Type 2's are on insulin. It isn't restricted to Type 1's.

grizwold

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks bluetit did not know that I ask nurses all sorts of questions never seem to get a straight answer but have to admit they are very busy all the time and do a great job.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks bluetit did not know that I ask nurses all sorts of questions never seem to get a straight answer but have to admit they are very busy all the time and do a great job.

Just ask us instead. We are all diabetics of one sort or another with a wealth of experience between us. I would go as far as to say if people on here can't answer your questions, no-one can! :)

Reactions: 2 people