Metformin and heart problems

Carole Hill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am type 2 and at my last review was adviced to see my Dr as bg levels raised despite having lost weight. As I had a heart attack 3yrs ago I am concerned about taking metformin. Are there any known risks? Or does the risk of high bg levels outway any other risks associated with taking metformin?

Marvin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I, too, have cardiovascular disease alongside my Type 2 diabetes. I have struggled to tolerate Metformin (even the slow release type) but my doctor is insistent that I keep taking as much of it as I can cope with because it has benefits in other directions, including helping with the heart problems. So I battle on (Met 500mg twice a day, Glic 160mg twice a day and Liraglutide(Victoza) 1.2mg injection once a day.) The Victoza is a great step forward as its brought my HbA1c way down AND I'm losing weight! And now I'm on half the metformin I was on before.

Carole Hill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very encouraging. Well done to you for sticking with metformin. I have just gone up to 2 a day and all is well, jus a bit windy which is getting better and even after a holiday weight is dropping and apitite decreasing. I feel more positive about controling BG as there is also a drop from 13.6 down to 7.6 this morning.