Metformin and insomnia

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What is the difference between the numbers (e.e.84) and the percentages I keep seeing? And which should I use?

The percentages are the old measurements. (some labs still use them). Several years ago the measurement units changed and are now in mmol/.mol (not to be confused with the measurement units used for our glucose meters, which are mmol/l.

There is a conversion chart here.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html

Nigel Gordon

I'm newly-diagnosed as diabetic, and have been taking Metformin for about a month. Is one of the side-effects insomnia? I'm finding difficult to sleep although I feel very tired due to M.E>
A rare and under-reported side effect of Metformin is insomnia. There is an article about this in the Indian Journal of Endocrinol and Metabolism 2012 Mar; 16(Suppl1): S63–S64. Unfortunately, this side effect is not widely reported and the majority of GPs are unaware of it. It is often ascribed to the effect of stress resulting from the diabetes diagnosis rather than being a side effect of Metformin. The side effect is not mentioned in the leaflet distributed with Metformin. If you have suffered this side effect please report it to the Medicine Regulatory Authority's Yellow Card Scheme. You can find them on the government website. Sorry, cannot post the link as the system regards it as Spam.

Reactions: Blackheath_Teahut