Metformin and Metformin slow release

Annielu

Has anyone found they just cannot tolerate Metformin, took it for 16 years no problem. After 3 months of unxplained tummy troubles (really bad) finally Dr. put me on Slow release, after 6 months tummy probs started again. I have now stopped taking the tablets , really scared , 3 days now without and I am feel fine but blood sugar is high. Can anyone tell me if they had this problem and what is available without causing tummy problems.

Reactions: jomar_uk

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Metformin is slow to build up in the body and so slow to go away too. It has only a small effect on Blood Glucose and none at all on BG reactions to what you eat, so there is no reason to be scared.
There alternative drugs, but most of them can also cause digestive problems as well as other nasty potential side effects.
I assume that you are a Type 2 (you don't say) nor do you say how high your BG levels are.

Many people in this forum control their Type 2 using diet alone. By that I mean:
Low Carbohydrate way of eating (not calorie restricted)
Time Restricted Eating (OMAD etc.)
Fasting
5:2
or even periodic very low calorie (Fast 800, Newcastle etc.).

Yellredder

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I stopped taking Metformin a few months back as it bunged me up and I realised it was a different brand. Maintained my HBA1C of 48 despite not taking them, I low carb but not religiously. Bloomin nurse wants me back on them, but the low release ones. Says there’s cardiovascular protection. Currently I’m undecided.

• Hug
Reactions: callyandy

Annielu

Metformin is slow to build up in the body and so slow to go away too. It has only a small effect on Blood Glucose and none at all on BG reactions to what you eat, so there is no reason to be scared.
There alternative drugs, but most of them can also cause digestive problems as well as other nasty potential side effects.
I assume that you are a Type 2 (you don't say) nor do you say how high your BG levels are.

Many people in this forum control their Type 2 using diet alone. By that I mean:
Low Carbohydrate way of eating (not calorie restricted)
Time Restricted Eating (OMAD etc.)
Fasting
5:2
or even periodic very low calorie (Fast 800, Newcastle etc.).
Thank you for your helpful reply, should have said I am Type2 BG 13.9 mml to 20.mml I know thats two high. I am going to try all of the methods you suggest I really do not want tablets/digesstive problem.

• Optimistic
Reactions: callyandy

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
You can't do all the methods at the same time.

Here is a link to the blog post which got me started on my path to T2D remission (been in remission over 3yrs now):

Either try that one first, or whichever other one takes your fancy -basically once 'fat adapted' I started using Time Restricted Eating as well as Low Carb, but that would have been too hard for me at first. After a few months of low Carb I was no longer hungry for Breakfast, so TRE was then easy.

• Winner
Reactions: MissMuffett

Annielu

I stopped taking Metformin a few months back as it bunged me up and I realised it was a different brand. Maintained my HBA1C of 48 despite not taking them, I low carb but not religiously. Bloomin nurse wants me back on them, but the low release ones. Says there’s cardiovascular protection. Currently I’m undecided.
I was put on slow release, ok for 4 months gradually tummy problems started again. I really do not want to take tablets again, although its interesting your nurse saying theres cardiovascular protection, I have not heard that before is it correct.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
There is certainly some evidence of possible cardiovascular protection, but I don't know how strong the evidence is.
Same with possible longevity effects.

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
I was switched to SR because I couldn’t tolerate the standard one and I was fine, other than a single incident of diarrhoea once or twice ever 6 weeks or so (Imodium stopped these).
However, my local pharmacy was recently taken over by another company and they have been sending me a different brand each month. I find there is about a week of digestive problems each time. May be coincidental…

Yellredder

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I started the slow release ones and I’m getting dreadful bloating. Really quite uncomfortable. Only three days in though.

• Hug

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
Well I started the slow release ones and I’m getting dreadful bloating. Really quite uncomfortable. Only three days in though.
I found it took me around a month before things “normalised”. Hang in there, it’s worth it in the end.