Metformin brands

Siming

Hi I am a 66yr old type2 for 15 yrs, I have always had problems tolerating Metformin 500mg twice a day modified release. This last 18 months I needed to increase dosage to 3 or 4 times a day. But the worse problem came from different brands, Morningside appear to be fine but other brands just start diarrhea,cramps etc some immediately some within days. So is this because of what ever is mixed in with the drug, maybe lactulose or because others are not modified release ?
Any answers ?

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
Now I find that very interesting! I thought I was imagining it, but I have been taking Sukkarto SR (slow release) for years.
However the last 2 batches were a different brand and I had the same symptoms as you for about 4-6 days after starting them. I was given Sukkarto again this time and no problems at all.
Unfortunately I don’t remember what the other 2 brands were. I was going to ask the pharmacist but kept forgetting.

EDIT: I have just spotted that Sukkarto is a Morningside Healthcare product.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is interesting I know that if you change a dog's food they will sometimes get an upset stomach and diarrhea, maybe that's why the metformin I am taking now doesn't bother me nearly as bad as the metformin I took a couple of years ago. I was thinking they're all the same but since you mentioned it...

Reactions: aylalake and jjraak

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening @Siming and welcome to the forum.

I'm a type 2 metformin user (standard release). My tabs are made by Crescent. In December 2018, my dose was raised and the higher dose caused diarrhoea on rising most mornings. I was told it would settle given time. It didn't. I reduced my carbohydrate consumption still further, my GP halved the evening dose and the side effects let up.

I cannot answer your question, but if you've always had problems tolerating metformin, my money's on the metformin. You'll find the ingredients in your Morningside tabs listed on the leaflet enclosed with your package. You may be on to something. Then again, these things are not really quantifiable. Your diarrhoea could be due to the increased metformin dose or caused by the mode of action ie. standard release rather than modified release prescribed.

Once again, welcome.

Reactions: aylalake

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not on Metformin, but can't take certain brands of other medications purely because of the 'fillers', so this is noted on my records at the pharmacy.

• Informative

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I am a 66yr old type2 for 15 yrs, I have always had problems tolerating Metformin 500mg twice a day modified release. This last 18 months I needed to increase dosage to 3 or 4 times a day. But the worse problem came from different brands, Morningside appear to be fine but other brands just start diarrhea,cramps etc some immediately some within days. So is this because of what ever is mixed in with the drug, maybe lactulose or because others are not modified release ?
Any answers ?
Interesting...

Hadn't considered it would be so different .

In that spirit mine is:
Crescent
500mg.
Label on blister pack says
Brown & burk 1000mg.
(But that covers 2 tablet blisters)
Prolonged release
Pack says:Film coated

Not sure what previous brand was, but it was the standard format.

Had no issues with those, but got switched to prolonged released (unrelated to T2D or issues ) by GP at re-issue a year or two back.

Tolerate the new version just fine.

Ingredients read:
Metformin hydrochloride.
500 or 850mg of active ingredient.
Other ingredients:
Sodium starch glycolate
maize starch.
Povidone
Colloidal anhydrous silica
Magnesium stearate.
Hydroxypropylmethylcellulose.
Titanium dioxide.
(E171)
Propylene glycol.
Macrogol 6000.
Putrefied talc

Nom nom nom .. :hilarious:

Good luck finding out more & being able to settle on one that gives the least discomfort.

• Informative

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to be on Metformin sukkarto and could not tolerate what it did to my guts or the yukky metallic taste. I now take Glucophage made by Merck and it is completely different. In particular, no nasty tastes in the mouth and no running to the loo. Such a relief that I can tolerate this brand.

• Informative
Reactions: aylalake and jjraak

Siming

Thanks for the replys guys, I do know sukkarto is indeed a Morningside brand but a different facility. As a bit of background I have an insight into Pharmaceutical companies as I was a practitioner & prescriber before retiring. One of the things I do know is that there are" premium " brands that make develop meds & once off licence can be made by others. Obviously the control then is less stringent.
But thanks for the interest I know I can't be alone as other meds also have their problems ie statins, ace inhibitors & blood pressure meds.
Morning side seems good for me but I would like to know why ?

• Informative