Metformin causing joint pain........?

danielt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi again
Sorry to ask so many questions but I am sure there are wise owls on here who can help...
OH had check up last week and said that he was having joint pain specifically his elbows and arms. GP has told him now to stop metformin for a week see it it improves then stop statins for a week and then he will know if it is the tablets causing the pain and if so which ones. Is it me?...?
Side effects of statins I thought took ages to clear and I haven't heard of metformin causing such pain and surely being a yo yo with the tablets isn't the best way...?
I really would appreciate any opinions if only to tell me I am wrong thinking this is an odd thing to have to do
There is no follow up to this advice either.... Which has concerned and confused me even more....
Thank you for reading

K

Kat100

For me it's the statins, pains in every joint at times really painful......not nice at all.......an unwanted side effect x

Reactions: 2 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I wouldn't want to go against your own doc but Metformin has few side effects apart from stomach upset in some. Statins however can cause joint/muscle weakness in some people. I have been on statins for over a year but stopped recently due to leg weakness. I was only taking them as a precautionary measure though, my cholesterol is OK. I don't know of your individual circumstances. Can you speak to a different doc maybe ?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never heard that side effect from Metformin, however as above I have read about it in statins. I am surprised the Dr said to stop taking the Metformin for a week to see what happens - what happens to the blood sugars for that week?! Does your Drs Practice have a diabetic Dr? I would get a second opinion. But if it were my choice I'd stop the statins to see if that helped.

Reactions: 2 people

danielt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and thank you for your replies..
Karen it was the diabetic dr who gave this advice!!!

Clearly I know nothing about all this but I couldn't get my head around it. Either they don't listen or can't be bothered to think before suggesting this crazy course of action. As commented I haven't tested his levels as am scared as to what I will discover. Luckily he is back on metformin tomorrow

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Did not taking the Metformin have any effect? I can't believe it was the Diabetic Dr that recommended it. I hope there is no downside when you start taking his blood sugars again.