Metformin tummy trouble

C

chris lowe

I got nausea quite a lot when I first started taking Metformin but like others I found that if I took it halfway through a meal it didn't upset my stomach quite so much. I've also found that I don't tolerate some foods so well - I've decided to stop eating strawberries as the last couple of times I've eaten them I've had to go to the loo urgently several times a day. :oops:

lily margaret

I also have tummy trouble with the metformin. Drs only suggestion was to try me on the slow release version and the tummy trouble got a lot worse! I ended up going back on the ordinary metformin as other diabetes tablets made me keep going hypo.
The tummy does not seem quite so bad now. Will try one of the suggestions made here earlier to take the tablet halfway through the meal. Worth a try anyway.

korfila

hi,

i was taking metformin 500mgs twice a day, until the RUNS started, it is explosive diahorrea, imagin on holiday looking for a loo quickly!!!

my nurse practitioner changed to the long release type, but i still get the runs at least 2 a week!
i have reduced the metformin to only 1 in the evening. But i have to take Immodium at least one a day to control the RUNS!

good luck.
kene,