Metformin

redcatstar

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Hi my h1ac was 36 my Endo put me on metformin for insulin resistance , I have hypothyroidism and am over weight,
It has been upped twice with no blood tests I am now on 1000 twice a day I have the shakes and feel anxious, can someone tell me if I should be on this pls

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
We can't tell you if you should be on it or not, but I can say that I am surprised that someone with an HbA1c of 36 has been put on a diabetic drug as 36 is not a diabetic level. Perhaps there is another reason. Are you in the UK? Met does have side effects, the usual one is "tummy trouble".
Sally

redcatstar

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
No I'm in Ireland, personally I always felt Endo put me on it to lose weight but it hasn't done anything but make me feel shaky and anxious ( but that could be my Thyroid either) what is the level of hbA1c that would put you on metformin

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Metformin is also used to treat polycystic ovarian syndrome, and may be used for other conditions too. If you had diabetes, it would be logical to prescribe it to help with insulin resistance. But with an HbA1c level of 36, it seems unusual to prescribe it for that.

It can suppress appetite a little bit in some people, as a side effect, but if he chose it to help you lose weight, I'm not sure it would be good enough at doing that, to be worth any side effects you may get. If you want to keep taking Metformin, there is a slow release version, which is easier on the stomach.

redcatstar

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Thank you I am on slow realise ones , I'm just getting nervous about been on them,

MsPrim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lemons
No I'm in Ireland, personally I always felt Endo put me on it to lose weight but it hasn't done anything but make me feel shaky and anxious ( but that could be my Thyroid either) what is the level of hbA1c that would put you on metformin

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 10 months ago with a hba1c of 88 and I was on 2 Metformin tablets daily.

After 6 months my hba1c reduced to 35 and I take one Metformin tablet on Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday.

I also have hypothyroid brought on by Hashimoto's Disease.

Go to your GP - I would say you need to have your Metformin reduced as I felt the same as you did and that's what my Endo did, he reduced my Metformin

Do you not test when you feel shaky and anxious?

If you do and your readings are 3.9 or lower then you are having hypos and your Metformin would have to be reduced

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Metformin isn't supposed to cause hypos. If you're anxious, maybe you're getting anxiety attacks ? nopanic.org.uk is really good, they helped me get over panic attacks.

MsPrim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lemons
Metformin isn't supposed to cause hypos. If you're anxious, maybe you're getting anxiety attacks ? nopanic.org.uk is really good, they helped me get over panic attacks.

If you are on too high a dose of Metformin you can get hypos - Metformin as a rule doesn't cause severe hypos. But it doesn't mean you can't have hypos either

Reactions: 2 people