Mobile phone worries

Duffman24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Crikey, there's a lot of stuff to read here! I've looked at as many phone queries as I can see, but I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on the following please?
WHEN I had my very first Libre (the original one) I found that my new phone wasn't compatible, although this has turned out to be a bonus because the little scanner that Libre can supply is so much more convenient than carrying a mobile everywhere (I'm old -ish and have never done so before).
I am due, soonto be having an Omnipod pump with a Libre 2+ (i thought it would be a Libre 3 but my doctor/diabetes nurse says it's a 2+.
The Dexcom originally proposed seemed to have a very limited option if 'compatible' phones but id prefer to stay at least in part with something I'm familiar with (both my make of phone and Libre) so opted for Libre.
What I can't find definitively is whether compatibility depends upon the operating system of the phone or whether it has to be an exactly homologated device. When I plug my scanner into my PC it doesn't care at all what exact computer I have, merely that it's operating system is up to date (I had to get a new laptop a couple of years ago because it eventually wouldn't upgrade to Libre's latest requirements).
Does it have to be an EXACTLY specified phone, in a nutshell? Ideas appreciated! Many thanks.

TheSecretCarbAddict

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My guess is that it doesn't have to be the exact phone, but if you start having any troubles with unsupported one, Abbott can potentially refuse to support, replace sensors, etc.

Here is the compatibility list from their manuals page covering LibreLink app: https://freestyleserver.com/distrib...rsion=latest&os=all&region=all&language=xx_yy

Libre 2 Plus is a real thing and is supposedly an improved version of Libre 2. The one I tried seemed to be closer to my glucometer tests than Libre 2.

TheSecretCarbAddict

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just checked my phone, and it is not on the list called out specifically. There are some related models. It works, though, and I never had issues getting a replacement sensor for failed ones (a couple over the last few months).

Duffman24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for that Secret Carb, it's been difficult to get any real life answer to my query. It gets lost in phone calls to Abbott/Libre. Dexcom seemed (as far as I could understand) to be cast iron in exactly which phone was suitable. My understanding was that it was more about the capability of a phone rather than an often out of date model, as I saw on the Dexcom site.
I want to stay with my Motorolas which I have been very happy with!

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Not sure how relevant this is to your case, but I was given an Omnipod DASH pump in January, so this is controlled by the dedicated Omnipod PDM. I have an iPhone 15 and self fund my Dexcom G7 CGM. So lots of manual work still required by me.

My experience is that most iPhone software iOS upgrades work seamlessly with the G7, even though official Dexcom testing approval can take a month or 2 to catch up.

Unfortunately Insulet, the Omnipod manufacturer, appears very slow to develop appropriate software to integrate with ongoing developments in mobile technology - very, very limited iPhone compatibility in USA only, no dates for the UK/EU rollout and for Dexcom 7 who knows? (I would not want to have to go back to G6....). If you are willing to try a tubed pump I think there are more phone compatibility options.

Omnipod does seem most compatible with Android OS phones - does this cover Motorola phone OS?

Duffman24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure how relevant this is to your case, but I was given an Omnipod DASH pump in January, so this is controlled by the dedicated Omnipod PDM. I have an iPhone 15 and self fund my Dexcom G7 CGM. So lots of manual work still required by me.

My experience is that most iPhone software iOS upgrades work seamlessly with the G7, even though official Dexcom testing approval can take a month or 2 to catch up.

Unfortunately Insulet, the Omnipod manufacturer, appears very slow to develop appropriate software to integrate with ongoing developments in mobile technology - very, very limited iPhone compatibility in USA only, no dates for the UK/EU rollout and for Dexcom 7 who knows? (I would not want to have to go back to G6....). If you are willing to try a tubed pump I think there are more phone compatibility options.

Omnipod does seem most compatible with Android OS phones - does this cover Motorola phone OS?
Hello and thanks for your thoughts -it is a minefield isn't it?

I thought initially I'd be using a dash but apparently our health authority are choosing the Omnipod 5 and the Libre 2+. I've not seen a '2+' on any of the Abbott/Libre literature online but the admin lady in our diabetes nurses office says it is a 2+.

I suspect I have some time before anything actually occurs, these things seem to move at glacial speeds!

Reactions: oldgreymare

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
In the uk, the omnipod 5 is controlled by the supplied pdm and not a phone so it doesn’t really need to be compatible with your phone if you are in the UK

Reactions: oldgreymare

Duffman24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you, and yes, I am in the UK. I get more puzzled every day because I'd previously thought that it was 'dash' that utilised a PDM and the 5 that required a new phone. I live and learn (and forget much!). Very kind thank you.