Monitor

whiteknight16

Hi
I just recently been diagnosed type2, came as a bit of a surprise at 75.
Question is, should I be provided with a monitor from my GP, I understand the problems with strips, but should I be provided with a monitor.
You see apart from reading my blood sugars I don't know what I am looking out for, my wife and daughter are being very supportive but we don't really know what to look for. :?

Cinderella

Sometimes the surgery will provide you with a meter as they get free samples but it depends on whether they encourage testing for Type 2 diabetes or not. Many do not these days. You can either buy a meter or you can contact the manufacturers who will often provide a meter free of charge as they don't cost much. The strips are the expensive things that they make their money from. I just bought my own. You need to test before and after meals to start with to see how different foods affect your blood glucose. It should be 2 hours after a meal. Hope this helps. If you need to ask more questions do not hesitate as people here will always be willing to help. It's very confusing to begin with but it gets better eventually.

Best wishes
Cinderella :!:

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Most manufacturers will provide a free monitor if you contact them as the money is made selling the strips.