Monitoring blood sugar to evaluate diet/exercise/natural remedies

Laddie1997

I wonder if anyone can give me advice on the following. I am Type 2, controlling it by diet and exercise. A month ago I bought a blood testing meter. This has been quite motivational as I find if I check my glucose 2 hours after starting to eat and then again after a 25 minute walk the level drops by around 20%.

Great claims are made for green tea and fig leaf tea in dropping sugar levels and I am trying to evaluate these in my own case. I test in the morning (because I always have the same amount of breakfast: porridge).

My planned testing regimen is as follows.

Sample 1 before starting to eat. (Breakfast is say 20 minutes)

1 Hour after starting to eat drink a cup of green or fig leaf tea.

2 hours later take Sample 2

(Then take a 25 minute walk and optionally take Sample 3).

I would appreciate any comments on the timings and methodology. I record the results in Ms Excel.

Many thanks.

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
Hello @Laddie1997 It sounds fair to me.

Porridge is a grain so without looking it up I expect it is high carbs so it will send you high quite quickly, but I have not tested as you are doing.

I also have not tested the effect of exercise but I always thought (not sure where I got it from) that exercise brought BS down but after you stopped it went back up, so it is not a remedy just an intermission.

Anyway, you might be able to help us out with testing for porridge compared with bacon and egg and if exercise is short term effect only.

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also have not tested the effect of exercise but I always thought (not sure where I got it from) that exercise brought BS down but after you stopped it went back up, so it is not a remedy just an intermission.
Exercise increases the effectiveness of insulin both in the short term I.e. while you exercise and in the long term (e.g. You'd expect to need less medication if you changed jobs from office worker to builder). Spikes in blood sugar are due to you not having enough insulin to cover the increase at its usual effectiveness so exercising can help the insulin you do release in response to eating cover more of the BG increase.
Afterwards things will go back to normal, but I thought OP was more concerned with spikes than fasting levels.