Monitoring prediabetes

Norrismj

Hi

My optician pick up that I had a retinal bleed and recommended I see the GP to test my BP and blood glucose. I' m a pharmacist so decided to do a glucose tolerance test on myself today. My fasting sample was 5.9 and my two hour post glucose was 11. Both samples were capillary blood so guess I have prediabetes. Am going to see the GP in a week or so but would like a bit of advice before then.

My BMI is 25.5 but my waist measured at the tummy button is 40" so I guess it is diet and exercise for me! Will the GP give me a prescription for blood testing strips and lancets so I can monitor the condition or do I have to pay for these myself as I don't have the diagnosis of diabetes? Also my wife is suffering from a serious progressive illness and I need to be healthy to support her. Would there be a benefit in me starting oral hypoglycaemics now prior to type 2 diabetes developing?

alaska

Hi Norris

Given the glucose tolerance test you did on yourself appears to indicate type 2 diabetes (I believe), I'd advise seeing the doctor to ask for a diagnosis.

Whether the GP will give you testing supplies can vary from surgery to surgery.

If you are diagnosed with either pre-diabetes or type 2 diabetes, it's well worth asking to be given testing supplies so you can work out which foods are suitable for your levels.

Best wishes
Ed

DeeNJai

Hi
I have monitoring my blood levels as I have been having problems with low sugar where i get light headed, dizzy, clammy, and pale. Tonight I checked my blood glucose after i had my tea and i was shocked to see at 12.4 as all i had was 3 pieces of bread and soup. most days the average is around 7 but a few days have been 10+. I an checked around 4 times a day to see what is going on and if I get the symptoms that i am going to have a low sugar episode then i will check it.
Dee

alaska

Hi DeeNJai

This may suggest that three slices of the bread has more carbs than your body can deal with in one go.

See what happens if you have just 1 slice of bread -perhaps with a bit of cheese or even radish with cottage cheese perhaps

I'd expect the post meal blood sugars to be better and may actually help you feel more satisfied (as higher blood sugar tends to lead to greater feelings of hunger).

Ed

DeeNJai

Hi
still monitoring my blood. The last few days I am having problems with low sugar but at the same time not feeling great. I am luck if I get over 5 even 2 or 3 hours after a meal. Yesterday after breakfast it was down 4.3 I had a yogurt for breakfast. I am not due to have another fasting blood test until the end of April. Then I speak to Fran at the Smart Heart Clinic. I am feeling cr*p today for some reason all I want to do is go to sleep but I cant as i have things on. I have a lot on this week. I will just keep monitoring to see what is going.
Dee