Mood swings since moving on to pump

RichardFromHampshire

I am a type1 (for the last 22 years) and 8 days ago was moved onto a pump taking the same short-acting insulin as I was before (Humalog). Since moving on to the pump my blood sugars have been very stable (within 5 to 8 mmol/l range) which has been an improvement over the old regimen using Lantus.

However, and this is something my whole family has noticed (especially my wife) I seem to have been in a permanently bad mood since moving on to the pump and am very short-tempered at the moment.

I have no additional stress in my life, work's just the same, I have no money worries, indeed nothing has changed apart from now using the pump. I have not been going 'low' causing the bad mood (testing up to 15 times a day, sugars stable).

My overall insulin consumption has fallen (basically by the amount of Lantus I no longer take).

I am thoroughly confused by this. Could the removal of Lantus from my insulin regime be causing the problem bad mood? Whilst I suffered from the Dawn Phenomenon whilst using Lantus, I had no other side effects when using it. I was using Lantus for the previous 3 years.

I am also getting sufficient sleep, so I do not think this is a contributory issue.

Has anybody else experienced anything similar? I can objectively attest that I am short-tempered and am treating my family unreasonably, but I can't seem to stop feeling this way! Apart from this I love the pump...

Any and all suggestions/advice gratefully received.

Richard

RichardFromHampshire

I've been considering what else may have changed and I believe my insulin usage has actually dropped significantly more than simply my Lantus dosage. This is a result of me being a lot more careful of my carb counting: I thus think I have been eating far fewer carbohydrates in the last week (since starting to use the pump). Perhaps this reduction in 'brain food' could be impacting my moods?

jopar

I wonder if this just a reaction of the entital start of pumping, and you say that your life hasn't changed but it has... Pumping is a great up hevel, more than it that it seems you realise, not only are you changing and learning a new delivery of your insulin at the very begining, you are working hard to bring it into line, increased testing, greater thought in how your food is reacting, and how to use your pump to counter act all this..

Add to that you probably feel a lot better in many ways as you've obtained more stable control and the body has to get used to this new feeling etc ect..

I didn't suffer from mood swings, but did after the first week, did get a bit tearfull, but this was more relief and joyful tears more than anything.... As I had battle for the best part of 3 years to get the pump, then for first time in a long time felt very well with the very stable levels I had achieved, having the control over my diabetes, no longer having to juggle food to help cover my sensivity to insulin, no longer being enforced to stay up until late at night to have a Levimer Jab having my pump had given me my life and future back...

Hope these moods swings are just you unwittyling coming to terms with the pump, and should subside, it will be worth discussing these with your pump nurse as she may have more experience and insight she gained from other users and might be able to give more practible suggestions

RichardFromHampshire

I reckon it's certainly possible that it could just be related to the change! I guess time will tell. I certainly feel a lot more positive about my diabetes now :)
Fingers crossed for the future!

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
I agree the stress involved I think goes unnoticed but it is there in the background, things iron out and you WILL feel a lot better I am sure :)

Gary

RichardFromHampshire

Well, my wife says I've been back to normal (read: 'cheerful', or more so than the first week anyway!) for the last week, so I'll put it down to the change.

Richard