Morbid fear of having my OGTT

calumcco

I have a morbid fear of anything medical/hospitals. The thought of having to give 3 samples of blood in 2 hours is daunting and also the fact that I cant leave the hospital waiting room petrifies me. And worse still when I get nervous I chew gum or suck on mints but to add insult to injury I cant even take these as I have to remain fasting until the final blood sample is taken.
Like I say I struggle to give 1 sample of blood let alone 3 on a single day in such a short time frame and I also gag/retch when I am stressed and mints usually help me if I chew on one but I wont even be able to have one of them to supress my gag reflex.
Would my GP prescribe a small dosage of medication to get me through the test? Does anyone else on here share my fear?

Please reply guys I am at my wits end and I am a very anxious individual.
Thank you :(

2christine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
you could ask your gp for 5mg of diazepam before you go, but it would affect your driving, also I am not sure if it would affect your blood sugar level. there is a site on utupe called tapping, it might be worth your while learning some of the skills on there, to help with your nerves.best wishes. :)

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Like yourself, I also don't particularly like the hospital visit or the thought of the 'dreaded' needle. Worrying over it won't help and the OGTT test does involve fasting, drinking a glucose drink and a succession of extractions of a small quantity of blood over a preset time period.
If you have someone who can go with you for moral support it makes the 'ordeal' that bit easier, as does taking with you say a book that intrests you and/or small portable radio/CD of your favourite music or a talking book, which has headphones attached so as not to disturb any others. That way during the 2 hours or so when you are required to just sit still and relax, you can concentrate your mind on your listening and not on your surroundings.
Don't worry over this, there have been many who have been in the same position as you are and they got through it.

calumcco

Thank you both for your support!
Lazybones just one question, Why are they so strict on this particular test? I hear they insist on hardly moving or even walking up and down, are the results really that fragile that even walking could increase blood sugar levels?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Do discuss having a relaxant with the GP. I'm assuming they will use a canular after the first injection for blood so that later samples are simply 'turning the tap on'? I'm sure there are many who have a fear of medical situations and perhaps someone else can make suggestions.

calumcco

Daibell said:
Hi. Do discuss having a relaxant with the GP. I'm assuming they will use a canular after the first injection for blood so that later samples are simply 'turning the tap on'? I'm sure there are many who have a fear of medical situations and perhaps someone else can make suggestions.

What the hell is a canular and what do you mean turning the tap on? I don't recognise these terms and they weren't mentioned on my GP referred GTT Patient Information Sheet. What is going to happen to me? What does canular mean? Will I not have blood taken the conventional way via vein?

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They have never used a cannula when I've had OGTT tests, I'd be very surprised if they wanted to use one.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The reason they don't want you moving around is because it will artificially lower your blood glucose, not raise it. The purpose of the test is to find out how well your basic resting metabolism cam get rid of glucose. I used to hate needles but the thought of them has always been a hundred times worse than the reality, it is not painful and they don't bother me any more.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have taken part in medical research where they take several blood tests over a couple of hours so they put a cannula in instead of putting a syringe in several times.

It is a small needle that stays in your arm and they can fix the blood collection tubes to it and collect the blood each time. When they finish. This is a typical picture of one http://www.dreamstime.com/stock-photos- ... ge17007093

You must explain your problem with needles to the person who is doing the OGTT. The more blood tests you have done, the more you get used to it. I just look away when they are doing it and it hardly hurts at all.

calumcco

))Denise(( said:
I have taken part in medical research where they take several blood tests over a couple of hours so they put a cannula in instead of putting a syringe in several times.

It is a small needle that stays in your arm and they can fix the blood collection tubes to it and collect the blood each time. When they finish. This is a typical picture of one http://www.dreamstime.com/stock-photos- ... ge17007093

You must explain your problem with needles to the person who is doing the OGTT. The more blood tests you have done, the more you get used to it. I just look away when they are doing it and it hardly hurts at all.

Why would they use a cannula as opposed to a standard blood test? What are the benefits of doing it that way? Do they take urine samples during the GTT as well?

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In reply to your question on why you should remain still during the OGTT it might help if I explain a little about the test itself, that way you will know what is likely to happen before they conduct it on you.
You will be required to present yourself (usually in the morning after having fasted for 12 hours) but before even getting to the hospital/surgery there are a couple of things that you should do.
If you can get there by car, taxi or public transport do so, and avoid walking too much, as walking is a form of simple exercise which will bring your initial B/G reading down lower than it might otherwise be.
Also you might find it beneficial to drink a glass of just 'plain water' a half hour or so before the ODTT commences, as doing this in many cases will make it much easier for your blood to be drawn out from your arm and 'plain water' won't effect the final readings.
After taking the initial Blood sample they will frequently leave the 'dreaded' needle still attached and safely secured to your arm. This will then allow them to take further samples without having to re-inject you. I know it sounds dreadful but doing it this way sounds much worse than it actually is and you will then find that after the first dreaded 'needle' prick all the rest is easy-peasy.
You will then be asked to take a drink of a set amount of pure glucose which must be completely drunk within a few minutes. Here in the UK they frequently use a small bottle of the original 'Lucosade' energy drink 387 ml.
The next stage is the boring bit, and you will then have to remain seated, still and at rest with no walking about (that's the exercise bit again) until they decide when it's time to take another blood sample, which with the needle still attached to your arm is now straight forward and very easy.
They will probably do the same procedure at either one or two other later times so that they now have a unique collection of your blood samples taken over several hours from your fasting and when the glucose was first given to you.
From the finalised results they can then establish how well or otherwise your bodies metabolism has performed in dealing with a predefined amount of 'Pure Glucose' and from the results they can then form an accurate diagnosis as to whether you are diabetic, pre-diabetic or don't have diabetes.
If when the final results is diagnosed if should indicate that you are in the pre-diabetic stage then you should take this as a wake up call, for with a change in diet, exercise and possibly lifestyle, many people who are pre-diabetic are able to reverse their pre-diabetes and prevent themselves from ltheir ater going on to develop diabetes
Please let us know how you get on, for as you can now see here's nothing to get worried or frightened about, so you should now sail easily through your OGTT.

All the best - Lazybones

calumcco

Thank you Lazybones, in that article you explained more to me than any GP ever did! :thumbup:

Coincidentally I used to drink Lucozade years ago but had to give it up as I felt really overwhelmed and almost like I was detatched from my body and I felt very light headed and faint. What the hell could that have been, because that was at least 5 years ago, long before I had a high blood sugar level reading...

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm pleased that my recent posting was helpful to you. The orriginal formulation of 'Lucozade' was principly a high concentration of Glucose, which was intended to give athletes a rapid boost to their low blood sugar levels after strenuous exercise. It was also advertised at the time as a healthy drink for those patients recovering from surgery or illness at the hospital.
From the diabetic point of view it is best associated as a rapid means of recovering blood sugar levels if they shoud drop too low and the indivual is having a Hypo or in imminant danger of going Hypo (a dangerously low blood sugar level).
I'm not too sure for the reason for your experience of the dizzyness that you mention occuring (5 years ago) this might be due to an excessively high B/G level or might be the result of what is known as reactive or rebound hypoglycaemia, where after reaching a high value the blood glucose level rapidly drops down below what are the lower 'Safe' blood glucose levels as the body releases excess insulin in order to bring the elevated blood glucose level back to 'normal' levels.
From your current situation, I wouldn't worry too much over what happened in the past as it's now confined to being history, though I agree its nice to know why these things happen.
All the best for your forthcomming OGTT - Lazybones