morning BG levels

celtictemple

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just found this web site and after a few minutes browsing realise it is a great find. I have quickly tried to search for info. on morning blood glucose levels, and knowing this may be a pain as others have already asked, I would like some info on morning BG levels. I am type 2 diabetic (2 years), on Glucophage but over the last few weeks my mornin BG levels have risen from 7 and below to 8-10. Sometimes when I finish my meal at 6.30, I have nothing else that evening and my BG levels are about 7-8 before bed. Next morning they are up to 8-10 which I am annoyed about. Also over the last few weeks I have been very stressed about a forthcoming redundancy-is there any real connection between stress and BG levels as my doctor was not very interested when I mentioned it to him-not for a reason for chronically high BG levels anyway-and I'm not really sleeping well either. Anyone have any suggestions?

iHs

Hello :)

Stress can make blood sugar levels go up. If you are not sleeping all that well and getting up in the night to have cups of tea and coffee, then the milk in those will increase your carb intake and give you a raised bg result in the morning.

sixfoot

As a T2 you are probably getting what is known as the Morning Effect IE, the body is still producing some insulin and prior to Waking the liver dumps glucose into the system to allow you get up and go.
Stress can and will play a part in blood glucose levels.
Far more important is what you are eating, The single biggest factor affecting Blood Sugars is Carbohydrate, both simple and complex. In this regard there is no one size fits all, but the basic aim is to reduce the BS levels by reducing the intake of Carbs, Simple carbs are absorbed quickly whereas Complex Carbs are absorbed more slowly and dont have so much of an effect.
At this point my advice is to read through the various Carbs threads, you should find postings already on the subject as well as info on the effect on BS.

You will have more questions so do come back and post them
Dave P

celtictemple

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone for your very quick replies-I am very impressed. In answer to SarahQ, yes my overall BG levels are up -this evening 5 hours after a BBQ at lunch my levels were 16 which is unheard of for me, falling to 14 a couple of hours later. This is why I am concerned because they have been raised by an average of 3 over the last few weeks. My usual 'highs' used to be 9!

celtictemple

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I knew someone would ask that!! 4 (small) sausages, 2 rolls, salad, coleslaw, no alcohol- about 200ml orange juice, and a 97% fat free smoothie ice.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
OK OJ for a start will put up your BS.next the bread in the rolls,next if it was bought coleslaw the chances are it had a high sugar content.So adding them all up it's no wonder your BS went up!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
If your sugars are up, I'd suggest Ally's method of keeping a food diary for a week and analysing what you actually are eating. It's so easy to let that slip off plan.
AND look out for the
"low fat" trap. FAt is not the enemy for a diabetic, but sugar is. so many low fat products are VERy high in sugar. Check it out, by reading the nutrition panel. Remember that a teaspoonful of sugar weighs about 5 g. If your ice-cream contains 20g carbs ( pefectly possible), would you really eat 4 to 5 teaspoonsful of sugar?