Morning Hypo ?

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
hi,
It's a long time since I've been on the forum.
For the past 2 yrs I've been having sleep problems, waking around 5 am.
I usually get up and eat a banana. This morning I must have dozed until 7.30 am. Came downstairs but was perspiring profusely. It wasn't anxiety as I didn't feel anxious. I felt ' odd ' and craved something to eat, I had a banana before my breakfast. I was getting more and more agitated. It's now almost 2 hours since my breakfast and am not feeling too badly.
I tried to test myself but my test strips were out of date.
I'm not diagnosed as diabetic but had a ' scare' two yrs ago when my glucose was high. That's when I began testing. Could this have been a hypo as I'd not eaten since 10.30 last night ?
Before I got viral labyrinthitis 2 yrs ago I was getting to bed quite late and having something to eat quite late as well.
Last night I'd gone 9 hours without food which for me is a very long time.
I'm worried now as I have an appointment this morning and I can't go more than 3 1/2 - 4 hours without eating.
Any advice most welcome, thanks in advance.
Pegi.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If you aren't on any medication, it's highly unlikely that you would have had a full hypo, unless you are an undiagnosed reactive hypoglycaemic. The only way that you can really tell is to do some testing around the times you feel like this.

Reactions: 3 people

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You could have had a lower blood sugar but its unlikely to have been at a dangerous level or at risk of getting there....

as tim says, if you have a meter, do a test when you feel dodgy.....

anything is possible after all.....;)

Reactions: 3 people

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you aren't on any medication, it's highly unlikely that you would have had a full hypo, unless you are an undiagnosed reactive hypoglycaemic. The only way that you can really tell is to do some testing around the times you feel like this.

Thanks Tim,
Are you referring to meds for diabetes or other meds in general ?
I am on beta blockers ( propranolol ) diazepam for anxiety and Betahistine ( for balance disorder ).
What is an undiagnosed reactive hypoglycaemic please.
I've had phses of these feelings occasionally over the years.
Dash it that my test strips had expired, have ordered some more from Amazon, they're too expensive elsewhere. They should arrive tomorrow.
Pegi.

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You could have had a lower blood sugar but its unlikely to have been at a dangerous level or at risk of getting there....

as tim says, if you have a meter, do a test when you feel dodgy.....

anything is possible after all.....;)
Thank you novorapidboi26,
I don't know what it was to be honest, it was the sweating that got to me.
I noticed other members' HbA1c, surely the figure of 142 they gave me at the dr's surgery is not correct ? Seems ridiculously high.
I've ordered more test strips,should get them tomorrow.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks Tim,
Are you referring to meds for diabetes or other meds in general ?
I am on beta blockers ( propranolol ) diazepam for anxiety and Betahistine ( for balance disorder ).
What is an undiagnosed reactive hypoglycaemic please.
I've had phses of these feelings occasionally over the years.
Dash it that my test strips had expired, have ordered some more from Amazon, they're too expensive elsewhere. They should arrive tomorrow.
Pegi.
Diabetic Meds.

For Reactive Hypoglycaemia, check this out: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/reactive-hypoglycaemia.71083/

What tests strips are you using? SD Codefree are by far the cheapest.

An Hba1C of 142 is, I would suggest, a bit more than Prediabetic. That's moving firmly into the realms of Type 2.

Reactions: 2 people

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Diabetic Meds.

For Reactive Hypoglycaemia, check this out: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/reactive-hypoglycaemia.71083/

What tests strips are you using? SD Codefree are by far the cheapest.

An Hba1C of 142 is, I would suggest, a bit more than Prediabetic. That's moving firmly into the realms of Type 2.

Thanks again Tim,

I'm using Accu Chek Aviva strips, will the monitor take other brands ?

I've had my glucose tested twice this year - normal routine glucose test as part of other tests carried out by GP, results were ' normal'.

Thanks again.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Pegi,

I would STRONGLY urge you contact your doctor's surgery and get a print out of your blood test results. The receptionist should be able to give them to you, or tell you how to get them.

If you have an HbA1c of 142, then you are definitely diabetic - because people over 48 are classed as diabetic.
But if you mis-heard it, and have a result of 42, then you are only just pre-diabetic.
Big difference, I think you will agree?

Always best to get these things in writing! ;)

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Pegi,

I would STRONGLY urge you contact your doctor's surgery and get a print out of your blood test results. The receptionist should be able to give them to you, or tell you how to get them.

If you have an HbA1c of 142, then you are definitely diabetic - because people over 48 are classed as diabetic.
But if you mis-heard it, and have a result of 42, then you are only just pre-diabetic.
Big difference, I think you will agree?

Always best to get these things in writing! ;)

Than you for your reply.
It's been since Feb 2014 since I had this test, surely if it was 142 like I mentioned originally I would have had further symptoms by now ? Wouldn't it have caused my Dr concern as well.
I got the results over the phone as I'm houseboind with another medical condition.
Could be I mis heard and it was 42. Sometimes there are receptionists who really don't know what one is asking for, this one certainly didn't seem to understand me when I asked what my HbA1C was.
Because of immobility problems caused by balance disorder and meds for the afore mentioned, I have gained a lot of weight. I have had a couple of glucose tests this year as part of the routine tests carried out by GP's - results 'normal' Wouldn't he have picked up on anything if they were not normal, also if I mis heard the HbA1C and it was 42 what precautions need I take please ? Thanks.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I should just ring the surgery again, and ask, then write it down - or better yet, ask them to send you a printout through the post.

To be honest, the difference between those two results is so great that it wouldn't be fair to you offer any advice without knowing for definite.

:)

pensionistamike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My morning readings before breakfast at 0930 average 140 which equates to 7,7 in old money
depending on which meter I am using at the time......i take a 2 gram tablet 3 times a day of
Repaglinida Teva....10am......4pm......10pm after food..... and this keeps my blood sugar
at a satisfactory level during the rest of the day.
At the risk of repeating myself I was told by my original Doctor when I was first diagnosed
"As long as your readings stay in single figures its OK" Under 10 on the UK Accu Check Meter
I've been type 2 for 40 years (Im 77 now) and God bless him he seems to have got it right....in my case
anyway......As for Pegi......I agree that she should certainly contact her Doctor or Diabetic Nurse ASAP
to ascertain if she is Diabetic or not.
Incidentally a reading of 42 would have equated to 2.3......Unconsciousness at the least......so I dont
think she misheard.......it had to be 142 she was told.....I wish you well Pegi...and hope youre not,,,,,,

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Careful @pensionistamike, you are in Spain and the glucose test meters use mg/dl as their units. @Pegi is in Wales where they use mmol/l.

Hba1C values are given in mmol/mol. A reading of 142 mmol/mol is equivalent to an average blood glucose level of 21.2mmol/l or 382mg/dl! 42 is roughly 7 mmol/l or 126 mg/dl. They wouldn't have given her a standard fingerprick test value of 142 mg/dl as UK meters don't measure in mg/dl.

Let's be clear what precisely is being talked about in terms of measurements and units before making suggestions.

pensionistamike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In answer to tim2000s comments of "Lets be careful" and "Lets be clear"....I wasn't aware that I had made any suggestions
other than I agreed that it would be advisable for Pegi to get medical advice as soon as possible.
If you check the Blood Sugar Converter page on this site you will see that my 142 mg/dl converts to 7.9 mmol/l.
My Diabetic Nurse has a Converter Chart on her wall.......the formula to calculate mg/dl to mmol/l is divide by 18
hence 142 = 7.9...........I have been using this method for the last 10 years and as I said before both my Doctor
and Diabetic Nurse are both satisfied with my condition so I am content to carry on as usual.

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks to everyone who posted replies, much appreciated albeit confusing.
I don't know much about test values etc as I haven't been diagnosed diabetic. In Feb 2014 I had routine blood tests, the result of the glucose one came back ' high' and a fasting blood test recommended, unfortunately I failed to be able to fast due to low blood sugar. However they went on my Hba1c which according to the receptionist the result was either 142 or possibly 42 if I had mis heard. I was told it was ' normal'. That was 21 months ago. Since then I've had routine blood tests including glucose which were all ' normal'. Surely if I was pre diabetic or indeed diabetic my Dr would have picked up on this by now.
I do sometimes get hypo type attacks but also suffer anxiety attacks which my Dr said are very similar in symptoms.
My Dr is away this week.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The more you post the more you need to find things out.
To me you are getting episodes of low bloods but you don't know because you haven't got a blood glucose meter. I do believe that you have normal fasting blood levels.
I would return to your docs asap and find out what your hba1c levels are!

Tim said you could have undiagnosed reactive hypoglycaemia.
Only tests can diagnose this. But you do have symptoms that we get when not in control.

Tim posted a link. You can use that or look in the (new) reactive hypoglycaemia forum for information.

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The more you post the more you need to find things out.
To me you are getting episodes of low bloods but you don't know because you haven't got a blood glucose meter. I do believe that you have normal fasting blood levels.
I would return to your docs asap and find out what your hba1c levels are!

Tim said you could have undiagnosed reactive hypoglycaemia.
Only tests can diagnose this. But you do have symptoms that we get when not in control.

Tim posted a link. You can use that or look in the (new) reactive hypoglycaemia forum for information.

Thank you Nosher,
I rang the Dr's this afternoon and sorry everyone, it was my error - a big one at that, my Hba1C was indeed 42. I must have mis heard at the time due to having labyrinthitis. What does this mean please?
Nosher8355 I do have a blood glucose monitor and I've been getting hypo type episodes most of my adult life I think. I'm very particular what and when I eat. Little and often I find better.
What tests are carried out in the diagnosis of reactive hypoglycaemia ?
It may be of relevance that twice during two pregnancies I developed a kind of pregnancy diabetes where I had to have glucose tolerance tests.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you Nosher,
I rang the Dr's this afternoon and sorry everyone, it was my error - a big one at that, my Hba1C was indeed 42. I must have mis heard at the time due to having labyrinthitis. What does this mean please?
Nosher8355 I do have a blood glucose monitor and I've been getting hypo type episodes most of my adult life I think. I'm very particular what and when I eat. Little and often I find better.
What tests are carried out in the diagnosis of reactive hypoglycaemia ?
It may be of relevance that twice during two pregnancies I developed a kind of pregnancy diabetes where I had to have glucose tolerance tests.
If you can see the links below in my signature block, or find reactive hypoglycaemia in its own little forum. There is some great knowledge.
The key things to be diagnosed are normal fasting blood glucose levels.
High spike before an hour or even shorter,.
Lows or hypos after two hours but may be later.
Lots of symptoms including all of those that you have posted.

Tests include a prolonged oral glucose test. To prove you hypo and to discount others.
A 72 hour fast, in hospital. This discounts other conditions.
Have a read of our very long thread and come back and ask questions.

Paul_Bolt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Pegi, what was your outcome to your problem? I ask as I had an unusual high reading this morning and before breakfast but woke up feeling tried and clammy.