Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
• Minging hypos
• Uncontrollable highs
• People who think I can’t eat doughnuts.. haha
Hi everyone! :D

So lately I've been having trouble with morning hypos. I wake up feeling fine, as soon as I get up out of bed, I can feel my bg low, even if it's 4.0 or 4.1, there is the odd occasion where the symptoms would wake me though.

It's starting to really irritate me now, I mean drinking lucozade first thing in the morning isn't my cup of tea haha. I take my Lantus in the night at around 11 or 12, yea that is late, reasons why is because I've been out of college for a few months, no job, I'm a 17yr old bum and go to sleep late, around half 1 latest, unless i can't sleep. And I wake up around half 11am or 12pm even. It's ridiculous I know but I am going back to college next week so things are changing haha. Anyway it crossed my mind maybe it's taking Lantus late in the night that might be giving me morning hypos? My dosage is 16units, 2 days ago I dropped it down to 14units, but it's not doing anything.

I'll wake up, have breakfast, maybe have a little snack but won't eat a proper meal until 5 in the afternoon, my mother thinks it might be because I go too long without eating. Since being diagnosed (in feb), I got better and put weight back on a month later. I then started to watch what I was eating, without realizing i was low carbing, so have gone from 11stone to 9 and a half now. I hardly eat during the day, could this be another reason?

Deanna_Griff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
• Minging hypos
• Uncontrollable highs
Can someone please help me out here haha, much appreciated! :)

Deanna_Griff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
• Minging hypos
• Uncontrollable highs
At the moment, it's between half 11 - 12 haha

jeves

Don't you think that's why the hypos are happening!

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

jeves

How long have you been diabetic? I remember the days my mum nagged me! (Lol in the 80s) I'm now 43 have fun and go out a lot

Deanna_Griff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
• Minging hypos
• Uncontrollable highs
Well, that's why I posted this topic, to see what others think, because I'm not sure, I've always been a late sleeper at night and wake late in the morning, but its never caused morning hypos until now :problem: ..

I got diagnosed in February this year, so 9 months haha!, yea my Mum always naggs me :lol: .. I shall do! :D

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Only having your basal in your system should not cause a hypo. By sleeping late, really, you should be higher than getting up at 7~8am due to the inactivity. This suggests your basal is too high and maybe why your struggling in the morning rather than being lazy lol. You might be dropping below 4 earlier than when you wake and test when your 4 ish and its the fact you've had an emergency release of adrenalin to get you out of the 2s and by the time you come aroun properly your in the high 3s low 4s.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry, your weight loss would also help your insulin sensitivity, so for most people the less they weigh the less insulin they need.

Deanna_Griff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
• Minging hypos
• Uncontrollable highs
That makes sense, because when I wake up, my heart's racing, like for example when you don't hear your alarm go off and you wake up in a panic, that sort of feeling. So yea it could be a release of adrenalin, makes sense now.

So does my basal need to be decreased?

Thanks by the way :D

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Would do so, if your very low in the morning, decrease by 2 and leave for three days before adjusting again. I know it will be hard, but, try and test at 7~8am (u can stay in bed haha), and test when you actually get up also.

Deanna_Griff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
• Minging hypos
• Uncontrollable highs
Okay will do :), so when I test at 7~8am what should I be looking for, my bg within range is it?:)

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hopefully 4.5~6.5 would be a good start, dont be surprised to see a rise in levels between then and when you get up lazy bones (just wish I could have a lay in lol)

jeves

Brett add me as a friend I've found you very knowledgeable and as I work in pharmacy this would help thanks

Deanna_Griff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
• Minging hypos
• Uncontrollable highs
Right ok :D, haha :') oh no worries, I'll be waking up at 7 from next week on for college, sad times hahaa!

Thanks/ Diolch! (i see we're all from wales here haha)

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Lived in wales all my life, can't speak a word of welsh though, can count to 99 in welsh and know a few road signs in welsh. Does that count as being able to speak welsh lol