morning shakes and tremors.

Roger2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Everyone,
Pleased I found this site as im having morning tremors and shakes when I wKe up and everytime I ask about this to my doctor it is ignored, to the point where Im not even asked" what type of tremors/shakes"?
My hands shake every morning for about half hour upon waking up.
Im on merformin.
If anyone has e perienced the same , or has any I fo on above I would be hugely appreciative.
Cheers.
R

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Roger and welcome.

I agree with @Dibbles1 Next time this happens, test your blood sugars. Does it disappear or get worse after you have eaten breakfast?

Reactions: 2 people

Roger2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Bluetit, thNk you for the assistance, I shall definitely take your and Di bles advice.
MNy many thanks
Roger.

Reactions: 2 people

Roger2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you test your blood sugar when you wake up?
When I get shaky and tremors it's usually because my blood sugar is too low.
You won't know unless you test though.
Good luck and welcome.
Hi Dib les
Do you test your blood sugar when you wake up?
When I get shaky and tremors it's usually because my blood sugar is too low.
You won't know unless you test though.
Good luck and welcome.
Hi Dibbles, thNk you for your prompt advice
ROGER

Reactions: 1spuds

alliebee

Hi and welcome to the forum...I agree with the above. Testing when you wake up will give you a clue to what is going on

susie1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hi there I had the shakes bad yesterday I tested my blood it was 4 so its worth testing

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One of my low blood sugar self tests is to see if my hands are trembling. It's a dead giveaway.

Sooty2013

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Peanut Butter and Rice Pudding
Just wondered if anyone has advice . . . I'm Type 2, I had 'the shakes' when I got up this morning and test it was 7.8mmol. I wouldn't have said that's high by any means, so why do I get the shakes?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Just wondered if anyone has advice . . . I'm Type 2, I had 'the shakes' when I got up this morning and test it was 7.8mmol. I wouldn't have said that's high by any means, so why do I get the shakes?
Hi. Is a 7.8 a low compared to your other readings?
Also are you lchf? I get dizziness and tremors on too low a carb diet. I had to increase from 30g to 50g then 100g but now 150g to satisfy my dietician.

Sooty2013

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Peanut Butter and Rice Pudding
Hello I ickihun, can I ask what LCHF means, sorry to be stupid.

7.8 is slightly higher than morning reading which is normally 6.4 - 7.4mmol.

I don't carb count, I don't eat potato very often as it binds me up, so I either have vegi rice or just the meat and veg. We only have dessert on Sat and Sun.

Hi. Is a 7.8 a low compared to your other readings?
Also are you lchf? I get dizziness and tremors on too low a carb diet. I had to increase from 30g to 50g then 100g but now 150g to satisfy my dietician.

lollyann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My hands sometimes shake early morning. I think it is because I want to get things done a little too quickly getting ready to go out; nothing to do with blood sugars as far as I am concerned because I always test when I have shaking hands and sugars are normal. However, it could be due to a neurological problem?

KookieMunchster

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Religious & Political Fanaticism, that sneeze that just won't happen, creepy ventriloquist dolls and oompaloompas.
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You’ll come across it a lot.
It usually means
Low Carbohydrate High Fat diet
If the thought of high fat puts you off then you can use Gary Fettke's version of Low Carb Healthy Fat. As for me, if I see a product in a supermarket claiming low fat then I just don't buy it. They probably have replaced the fat with sugar.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Hi Everyone,
Pleased I found this site as im having morning tremors and shakes when I wKe up and everytime I ask about this to my doctor it is ignored, to the point where Im not even asked" what type of tremors/shakes"?
My hands shake every morning for about half hour upon waking up.
Im on merformin.
If anyone has e perienced the same , or has any I fo on above I would be hugely appreciative.
Cheers.
R
Roger2, In reply to your post, all I can say is DITTO. I am not sure what the cause is as many incidents occured when it started, e.g. flu, medication withdrawal, family trauma, thyroid screw up dose, stress, antihypertensive damage, etc. I would be so grateful if my doctor could have replied that I should be referred to a neurologist, for example. But all I got was "I don't know". :-(

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My hands sometimes shake early morning. I think it is because I want to get things done a little too quickly getting ready to go out; nothing to do with blood sugars as far as I am concerned because I always test when I have shaking hands and sugars are normal. However, it could be due to a neurological problem?
Yes. It is possible. We'd like to hope that type2 diabetes is exempt but not always. I hope @Roger2 discovered it was a hypo symptom.
I'm not sure if @Roger2 is still aa active member?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Roger2, In reply to your post, all I can say is DITTO. I am not sure what the cause is as many incidents occured when it started, e.g. flu, medication withdrawal, family trauma, thyroid screw up dose, stress, antihypertensive damage, etc. I would be so grateful if my doctor could have replied that I should be referred to a neurologist, for example. But all I got was "I don't know". :-(
Yes most symptoms are monitored by a GP unless life changing. Not that I approve though.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes most symptoms are monitored by a GP unless life changing. Not that I approve though.
Wow ickihun, you are as detailed as a doctor. Yup, I suspect spinal problem, possibly after a very nasty flu some 6 months ago. Many people complained of it. I should be happy that it is inner or "essential" tremor and does not look like Parkinson's.

lollyann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

My problems start when I start doing things far too quickly so I guess my brain cannot process matters as quickly as it used to!!!

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have considered "hyperthyroidism"- li reduction induced, diabetic neuropathy (everyone's favourite), spinal injury, brain injury, but I am putting my money in chronic lithium toxicity leading to neuropathy, and waiting to see if there is an improvement with time, under 0 lithium. I have been referred to a neurologist and getting a brain scan soon, by my hard-working new doctor. A full body scan might be nice. We need more IT programs for drug/conditions interactions I think.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have considered "hyperthyroidism"- li reduction induced, diabetic neuropathy (everyone's favourite), spinal injury, brain injury, but I am putting my money in chronic lithium toxicity leading to neuropathy, and waiting to see if there is an improvement with time, under 0 lithium. I have been referred to a neurologist and getting a brain scan soon, by my hard-working new doctor. A full body scan might be nice. We need more IT programs for drug/conditions interactions I think.

p.s. Sorry, just for the record, I am keeping up on this tremor topic here; hope it's not inappropriate: one more: clonazepam withdrawal.