Morphine and low blood sugar?

action replay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
SELFISHNESS AND GREEDY PEOPLE :)
I have had type 1 diabetes for 72 years and always well controlled. Recently I was taken into hospital with a trapped nerve in my back, caused by a fractured vertebrae. I have osteoporosis. I have been taking oral morphine for the pain, but it has caused my blood sugar to go very low. Because of that, my doctor changed the oral to a skin patch. It seams to be working well. Does anybody know of this, and the cause? I am due to see a spinal surgeon soon. I dont know what option I have. I also have Secondry Progressive MS. Just greedy! Thank you for any answers.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Ouch sounds extremely painful, hope you get sorted soon.

I haven't come across morphine causing lows myself so unsure if there is a relationship between the 2, out of interest were you running particularly high in the lead up and had you taken any corrections, also what insulin delivery method are you using ? (and also to add I am not a GP either !) however there may be other factors at play.

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Been thinking about this. Pain is known to cause your blood sugar levels to rise. If the morphine was effective in reducing your pain, levels, perhaps your blood sugar levels were dropping in response to that ? Just a possibility but might be worth consideration. Best wishes.

Reactions: Antje77

action replay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
SELFISHNESS AND GREEDY PEOPLE :)
Thanks for your reply, sorry I am late to respond! I am not sure, but it is hard to work out! Even changing to patches has some affect as well. I see a Neurosurgeon on the nineteenth of this month. So not long to wait for some answers as to what can be done. Hope it will be positive! I will certainly let you know. x