Moving on….Starting on insulin....positive signs of improvement ...glimmers of hope...

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Molly, maybe I shall enlist your hubby into my Diabetes Boot Camp. Part of the drill is showing him that jabbing and finger pricking multiple times a day is a bummer. Then there's my video about how hyperglycemia makes you feel like you've no life except sleeping, drinking litres of water like a camel and peeing so much you have a bucket beside you. Then I will tell him how my Diabetes kidney disease is just another fabulous perk of uncontrolled diabetes. Never mind the pain in my feet, just lovely. I reckon he would change his pizza eating and other habits very soon.

Hi Eddie, I really feel for you, trust you have it all under control now and things that you describe are not progressing any further, unfortunately I am not sure that your message will reach the person it is intended for.

Neil

Reactions: 2 people

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Molly, maybe I shall enlist your hubby into my Diabetes Boot Camp. Part of the drill is showing him that jabbing and finger pricking multiple times a day is a bummer. Then there's my video about how hyperglycemia makes you feel like you've no life except sleeping, drinking litres of water like a camel and peeing so much you have a bucket beside you. Then I will tell him how my Diabetes kidney disease is just another fabulous perk of uncontrolled diabetes. Never mind the pain in my feet, just lovely. I reckon he would change his pizza eating and other habits very soon.
@eddie1968.....where do I sign him up....:eek:

...he does know about these I think...I mentioned to him this evening about a neighbour I used to have ..he died about eight years ago and was only in his mid sixties...he had Type 2 diabetes and in the end had lost his sight and was on dialysis three times a week..was devastating for his wife and two young sons.....so I do know what can happen...

Last edited by a moderator:

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Molly being told about it isn't the same as actually being shown what's coming as it is a wake up call.

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hopefully the date will be here quickly. If it gets changed again, I would have a moan about it.
Is that to go on to Insulin ?
@Robinredbreast ....the nurse had tried to get the date brought forward ...she called them this morning when I spoke to her ...they did offer tomorrow or Christmas Eve but I / we couldn't do those......also a date in early January which was not possible......they phoned back later in the day but unfortunately I didn't take the call.....hence it got moved to a different date but further away...was not what I wanted....
...and yes it is to go on to insulin....

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Molly being told about it isn't the same as actually being shown what's coming as it is a wake up call.

That is so true eddie, but sometimes it's like telling a smoker not to smoke because of the heath issues, same with a drinker ( or showing graphic images). If you really want to change something, you can do it, but only if you really want to.

Reactions: 6 people

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@eddie1968 ....I take your point....perhaps I can find someone locally that could do that....will give it some thought and perhaps ask around....thanks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Robinredbreast ....the nurse had tried to get the date brought forward ...she called them this morning when I spoke to her ...they did offer tomorrow or Christmas Eve but I / we couldn't do those......also a date in early January which was not possible......they phoned back later in the day but unfortunately I didn't take the call.....hence it got moved to a different date but further away...was not what I wanted....

Thanks for getting back Molly.

RRB

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
That is so true eddie, but sometimes it's like telling a smoker not to smoke because of the heath issues, same with a drinker ( or showing graphic images). If you really want to change something, you can do it, but only if you really want to.
I agree RRB...it has got to come from yourself and that you are doing it for yourself too.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Eddie, I really feel for you, trust you have it all under control now and things that you describe are not progressing any further, unfortunately I am not sure that your message will reach the person it is intended for.

Neil
Too true Neil. I am stable now, got the message the hard way. Thanks

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Molly - I struggle to understand what is more important than his health, that takes out three dates. (Rhetorical question.)

Have you actually had that serious discussion with him yet? His being unwell has given you so many opportunities...............

(Yes, I am being grumpy.)

Reactions: 6 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Molly - I struggle to understand what is more important than his health, that takes out three dates. (Rhetorical question.)

Have you actually had that serious discussion with him yet? His being unwell has given you so many opportunities...............

I struggle to understand also, and I'm not Grumpy

Neil

Reactions: 3 people

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Appointments all sorted as far as possible for now.....time for some quality time with my family over the next few days:).....can get back to sorting this out again next week...

Reactions: 5 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Appointments all sorted as far as possible for now.....time for some quality time with my family over the next few days:).....can get back to sorting this out again next week...

Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy, positive and prosperous 2015 :)

RRB x

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The last few days have seen a few positive moments which bode well for the future but also a few negatives too…

On the negative side he has not felt well over the Christmas period and has spent much of the time in bed….when he did get up he was saying that his head didn’t feel right and he felt wobbly on his feet…he does realise that this is probably due to his sugar levels and probably down to what he has eaten…saying that we have not really had anything in the way of the traditional Christmas food which is high in sugar …I made a point of not buying things like mince pies, chocolates, cakes etc so as to avoid temptation….I did have a very small Christmas pudding (my favourite and one of my only indulgences at Christmas) of which he did have a small piece (I had the largest portion)….perhaps this did serve as a lesson that he can no longer eat these things…

Over the Christmas period he did test his blood on two occasions….the first was 15.6 and the second 10.4…both high I know for some people here on the forum but given his current circumstances I (and he) expected that they would have been higher…at least they were not at levels requiring immediate medical assistance which was what I was concerned about (and why I suggested that he test)….

On the positive side we met with members of his family yesterday for dinner…his son did ask about his health and he went on to tell him about having to go on to insulin…this was a positive move in that at least he is now admitting that this is probably what he needs to do and secondly (and perhaps more importantly) the communication links are open for further discussion in the future….at least now I feel that I can talk to his son about this if necessary and will have some family support…

Also at the meal, having felt unwell in recent days, he did choose sensibly having a main course (carvery) but declining dessert and opting for sparkling mineral water to drink…..he could so easily have chosen other options but I was pleased to see that he was making sensible choices….

Will have to see what the next few days bring and hope that he continues along the positive path….unfortunately the diabetic appointments are still a few weeks away but hopefully we can get there with a more positive attitude and a willingness to do something about this..

Reactions: 9 people

angelicbaby

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am happy to note that your partner seems to be taking his condition more seriously. I think the key is for him to lower the benchmark of acceptability.

Over Christmas I have "allowed" myself treats. This culminated in a fasting blood glucose reading of 11.6 yesterday. I haven't had a reading like this since I was diagnosed and I don't intend for it to be an acceptable reading. Cut the carbs, drink water and get it lower. I expect my fasting BG readings to be between 5.8 and 6.5. (I am still struggling with higher readings after a night fast). Anything over and I have to change my diet to get it lower. I generally like my readings to be under 6 before I eat but I will eat breakfast because I feel it starts up my metabolism. A carb free (reduced) breakfast of eggs (scrambled, boiled, poached or omletted) and maybe cheese or bacon does this and I generally find that my readings later on are a lot better.

Your partner needs to have an idea of what Blood Glucose reading is acceptable and strive for this level. It is not beyond doing. In the year that you have been posting on here there have been hundreds if not thousands of new subscribers to this forum who have started their diabetic journey on a much higher level and have reduced it to acceptable levels.

Reactions: 9 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Maybe it was a personal matter that Molly had and didn't want to disclose it ? Just a thought

RRB

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Having effectively taken a bit of a break from all of this over the last couple of weeks….my priorities were very much about catching up with my sons whilst they were back from Uni….....it is I guess time to give some thought as to what comes next….

It seems that the next few weeks / month is to be taken up with a series of appointments whilst trying to get back to some sense of normality in terms of work and other commitments….I am trying to make sure that life does not just revolve around when the next appointment is (at least for me) though he doesn’t seem to have anything else written in his diary….

The appointment with regard to going on to insulin is still some weeks away on the 11th Feb but in the meantime the practice nurse has booked him in for an appointment in mid January as a ‘progress check’…..

Aside from this he has appointments with podiatry and physio this week, is awaiting news for an operation date from urology, has a return visit to the hip / knee consultant in mid Feb and is waiting to hear from the ENT consultant for an initial appointment….am thinking that we are going to be backwards and forwards to the hospital over the next couple of months….and longer.....

With all this in mind the idea of starting on a new regime of insulin for his diabetes is actually making me feel very apprehensive.....…I can already see that this is not going to be an easy transition and in fact can already foresee many potential problems…….but hope that perhaps some of my fears will be unfounded…

Having had a little time to think about it there is one thing that I am determined should happen this year and that is he has got to take more responsibility for his diabetes……this has been mentioned by many people here on the forum and also by the diabetic nurse when I spoke to her just recently…
..especially as he is now moving on to insulin…he has got to know and understand what to do and the consequences of not doing it….

It may be difficult but I do need to try and take a step back from at least some of this as I do have other things to do in my life……I will no doubt have a hundred and one questions to ask but can at least come here when necessary to hopefully find some answers…

I hope that 2015 will see a more positive outcome (whatever that may be) than the frustrations felt in 2014 but will just have to wait and see what happens…..

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Just don't grab the injections and do them!!! Stand well back and say you are needle phobic!!!!

Let the NHS take over with him, time to step back......research yourself if he won't bother but take the steps now to relinquishing the reigns to him and the NHS.

You can of course buy the lower carb foods etc and hide the biccies!!! To help him without labouring eating habits etc...

Your happiness is paramount too.. If he is happy with his life then you're not going to change that happiness that he gets without him wanting to change.

You are very lucky to have bright young boys at Uni and great abilities yourself @Molly56... Just don't lose sight of yourself with these appointments.... Thinking of you....