Moving: what tests should I get before I go?

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm going to be moving in the next year, and having to find all new health care providers.

I have a few months' lead time so trying to figure out what tests I should ask my current doctor to order so I can have good info going into what could be a 3-6 month gap in care as I get things set up.

I have weird prediabetes that might be honeymoon-period LADA. Right now take metformin and eat LC, and with that have been able to keep mostly prediabetic FBGs and normal HbA1c.

I get quarterly HbA1c and FBG already.

Thinking I should ask for:
Lipids
c-peptide if possible
general blood count (history of anemia)

Anything else you folks can think of that I'm missing? Should I try to get a GTT? They don't do GAD antibodies where I am not but hopefully after I move I can get some answers on that front. Just wanting to make sure my current diet is working okay and there are no alarming indications of impending crash into full blown LADA.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going to be moving in the next year, and having to find all new health care providers.

I have a few months' lead time so trying to figure out what tests I should ask my current doctor to order so I can have good info going into what could be a 3-6 month gap in care as I get things set up.

I have weird prediabetes that might be honeymoon-period LADA. Right now take metformin and eat LC, and with that have been able to keep mostly prediabetic FBGs and normal HbA1c.

I get quarterly HbA1c and FBG already.

Thinking I should ask for:
Lipids
c-peptide if possible
general blood count (history of anemia)

Anything else you folks can think of that I'm missing? Should I try to get a GTT? They don't do GAD antibodies where I am not but hopefully after I move I can get some answers on that front. Just wanting to make sure my current diet is working okay and there are no alarming indications of impending crash into full blown LADA.

I think additional tests are a personal thing, but one thing I will say is you don't have to have a GTT done, you cab do it at home, with finger prick testing. You are testing the snapshot reactions.

One thing worth mentioning is the standard OGTT preparation is to ensure plenty of carbs in the days before the test, or there is an elevated chance of a false positive.

I didn't carb up, but that was my choice. All you need is a suitable drink, plenty of test strips (I tested every 15 minutes, and continued until my bloods were literally where I started or lower) and a couple of hours spare where you can sit still and just pass the time. I read the forum.

Good luck with the move.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Moving to the USA. O_O Rather nervous about health care there, to be honest!

I would be nervous too, from a cost point of view. Are you moving through work? Will your employer cover the cost of medical insurance?

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, moving through work. The health coverage plan is supposedly "excellent" by US standards but it's still staggering how much I expect to be paying out of my own pocket. Part of why I want to get everything possible taken care of before I go.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, moving through work. The health coverage plan is supposedly "excellent" by US standards but it's still staggering how much I expect to be paying out of my own pocket. Part of why I want to get everything possible taken care of before I go.

Well if I were you I would make a list of what you would like done, and have it done.

My list would be
HbA1c
kidney & liver functions
eGFR (kidneys)
Gamma GT (liver)
FBC
Vitamin D, iron, ferritin, folate, B12
Full lipid panel
Thyroid
Bone panel (calcium, protein, globulin)
and a urine lab test for creatinine and albumin

I would also ensure I have all the print outs of all the results. Plus a couple of meters and plenty of test strips.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Which state @Glink ? There are so many factors that come into play re health costs, it ain't funny

Been through it all