Muffins

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So I've had a couple of unsuccessful attempts at making muffins. Once I find a recipe I usually have to convert cups to grams and various different sweeteners to equivalent amount of Stevia (as i have a huge jar). I bought loads of almonds but to be honest I've not been impressed with the taste, although the effect on my BG levels is virtually nil. I'm not even sure what the consistency of the mixture should be like as too me there always seems to be way too much liquid. I've started making half the mixture now as its getting expensive chucking it all out. Can anyone help? I don't like to admit defeat but not sure how many more recipes I can try. ;-(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I've had a couple of unsuccessful attempts at making muffins. Once I find a recipe I usually have to convert cups to grams and various different sweeteners to equivalent amount of Stevia (as i have a huge jar). I bought loads of almonds but to be honest I've not been impressed with the taste, although the effect on my BG levels is virtually nil. I'm not even sure what the consistency of the mixture should be like as too me there always seems to be way too much liquid. I've started making half the mixture now as its getting expensive chucking it all out. Can anyone help? I don't like to admit defeat but not sure how many more recipes I can try. ;-(

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/breads/r/lowcarbmuffins.htm
I have a constant supply of these, my wife and I have two each for lunch. I put a heaped teaspoon of Stevia in for sweetener, and use 170g of ground almonds. 113g is half a cup of butter, and 80ml is 1/3 cup of water. On their own they are a tiny bit bland, so I have changed the recipe slightly. They seem to come out best by adding a few blueberries into the mix. Obviously not too many to keep the carbs down. I made the latest batch with two teaspoons of ground ginger instead and they are rather nice. You could also experiment by adding unsweetened cocoa powder to the mix.

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And the mixture should be super runny, it's very easy for me to pour into the baking tray.

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok I'll give it a go but last batch I added a tablespoon of stevia and I thought they needed to be sweeter and I added cocoa and some very dark chocolate chips and to be honest they were really bitter. I don't even know if I like almonds so maybe I will experiment with half almond and half flour and see what results I get. Does it matter if butter is melted or can I not just stick all ingredients into the food processor? Thanks for your help

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok I'll give it a go but last batch I added a tablespoon of stevia and I thought they needed to be sweeter and I added cocoa and some very dark chocolate chips and to be honest they were really bitter. I don't even know if I like almonds so maybe I will experiment with half almond and half flour and see what results I get. Does it matter if butter is melted or can I not just stick all ingredients into the food processor? Thanks for your help

I suppose the only reason to melt the butter is to make it easier to mix. Your food processor would probably make short work of unmelted butter (I would cut it up before putting it in) so you may be able to skip melting it.
If the almond flour turns out to be the problem, all is not lost. Here is a recipe for cream cheese muffins :)
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/399261-cream-cheese-muffins.html

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The other option would be to try with some almond flour and some flax meal. I have not tried it with muffins but I have made some tasty cookies this way.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've made microwave muffins with a mixture of (milled) golden flax seed and ground almonds, and it works nicely. If the muffin mix looks too runny you may just need to cook it a little longer until it's set.

You could alternatively try coconut flour if you don't care for the almonds? I've not tried this as I love almonds but a lot of low carb recipes seem to use it.

Robbity

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Latest batch of muffins used oats, almonds and a small amount of flour amongst other things. I added a banana and cinnamon for flavour and although texture was good the flavour was undetectable. Do I just need to add twice as much banana and cinnamon or are the combination of dry ingredients the problem? No effect on BG levels so at least one element is working

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Found this recipe at another forum where many of the members have made - and raved - about the results:

"Patti's Stilton & Tomato muffins:

55g greek yoghourt
55g buttery spread or softened butter
a level tsp baking powder
2 eggs
85g ground almonds
35g crumbled Stilton
3 small cherry tomatoes

Heat the oven to gas mark 4, 350F, 180C. Put the yoghurt and buttery spread or softened butter into a bowl and whisk together until well combined. Whisk in the eggs one at a time. Fold in the ground almonds and baking powder, when well combined fold in the crumbled Stilton. Spoon into muffin cases (I have those silicone ones which are fab!). Cut the cherry tomatoess in half and top each muffin with a half tomato.

1.5g carb per muffin"

Another version of the recipe uses parmesan, basil and sun dried tomatoes.

Apparently they also freeze well - if you have enough restraint to have leftovers :)

Reactions: 3 people