My dad becomes suddenly moody, why does this happen :(

DreamKitty

My dad has type 2 diabetes. Most of the time his blood glucose is high, if he has sugar cravings he will eat sweet foods like a normal person. There is something strange I have been noticing. My dad is moody most of the time but he does have his good days, where he is optimistic about the future & cheerful. Today he was like that, then in the afternoon all of a sudden he had a change in mood.

We had fish for dinner tonight & he told my mum that the fish scales were still left on the fish & he spit it out of his mouth. My mum said she cleaned the fish properly (which she did) then my dad said in a rude tone to stop stirring up an arugument when he did it in the first place. He also brings up the subject of death being all negative.

It's so afrustrating and annoying when this happens, is it the diabetes that is making him like this? I hate it when he is moody :(

SparkJack

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My father was a Type 1 and I can remember being frightened as a child when he used to sit in a corner of the kitchen brandishing a carving knife and laughing. It was only when I was a lot older that I understood that his very odd traits were down to his not keeping his levels steady enough.
I do sympathise with you. Have you tried talking to your Mum? I am sure that there are others in the same position as yourself. You didn't say how old you were but if you need to talk and ask questions then this is the site for you. It sounds to me as though your dad is damaging his health and he needs extra help to come to terms with his diabetes.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Im sure not everything is down to being diabetic. I am very quick tempered but thats not because im diabetic.

DreamKitty

SparkJack, Im 21. That sounds pretty scary with what you went through with your father, in a way I would rather my dad laugh then be moody.

I do love my dad but I don't like his personality at all if that makes any sense, I think he loses his temper quickly but im wondering if having diabetes, high blood pressure contributes to his behaviour as ive been googling it & read that some people they noticed things were more tense when blood glucose levels flucated. I just like to be around a positive aura.

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
If I start to drop low fast I get real Twisty y ,, so my wife says

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
Before diagnosis I felt very tired and that can make me snap quickly, I now have good control and just the normal intolerance of idiots! Nothing toward those that don't deserve it.

Eiche

Dislikes
Not being able to satisfy my craving for chocolate LOL
Diabetics can experience frequent and strong mood swings.They could, for instance, lose their temper, lash out, become introverted or express positive emotions in a very unusual and chaotic manner. Outbursts among people who have diabetes can also become fairly common. The problem here is that they may not even be aware of these outbursts and may in fact even not remember it happening and occasionally, emotions can be expressed as melancholy, wherein a diabetic can show extreme sadness i.e suddenly cry for no apparent reason. All this can be very unpredictable, something that can often surprise and offend family members or friends. The key as family member or friend is to try and be understanding and show it too. Try not to forget that your dad doesn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings, but can't help this outburst. When he is in a good cheery mood, try to talk to him about it. :wink: