My first tummy bug since diagnosis and could use some advise please?

Lottie89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I felt brilliant this morning bloods were fine. After lunch I felt a bit off but thought its just because I'd eaten too much. Decided to have half an hour nap, let my tummy settle and then I was going to the gym. I woke up feeling really rough and griping tummy pains so I went to the toilet and felt really queasy and light headed (I thought I was going to be sick) I remembered that once when my bloods were really low (2.5mmol) I felt dizzy so I checked them on the off chance and they were at 3.4mmol (which I know isn't major but I felt dreadful) I had a little sip of lucozade because I couldn't manage any food... Checked my bloods 30minutes later- 4.4mmol. 2 hours later after a few trips to the toilet I checked my BG and it has gone upto 9.7mmol.

I don't understand why it's risen when I've not eaten anything?

Do I give myself extra bolus insulin even though I'm not eating?

The sick day rules says it it goes above 10 then give 4 extra units but would that not bring me down to -2?!? If 1unit generally brings me down by 3mmol.

I feel like ****, I'm really confused and would be extremely grateful for any guidance.

Also sorry if I over shared anything I just wanted you to get the full picture so it might be easier to offer help xx

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Feel for you Lottie! Am also in bed with stomach bug. Am t2 but have replied to this in the hope that it will bump up your query.
@Spiker @Heathenlass any ideas?

Lottie89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou... BG rose to 10.2 so I took 2 units of quick acting and last time I checked had gone down to 6.4... Just slightly worried I'll hypo over night but it's all fun and games :)

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
P.S I hope you're feeling better soon xxx
Thank you! Same to you too! Hope Spiker or heather lass will reply soon they are t1 and very helpful and kind!

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes,you can bolus without eating if your bg is high! Since you know that 1u brings you down by 3mmol, you need to use this info when correcting. You did everything right, glad your bg is lower now :)

Remember to test a lot, correct if needed and drink plenty of water. As suggested, you should have a way of testing for ketones, so if your bg stays high, its good to test them, just to be safe!

Hope you'll feel better soon!

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Lottie89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@jack412

I've tried to click on the links you provided but for some reason they won't work :/ I'll try on the lap top tommorrow. Just got into bed after a long day at work and a netball match... Tired is an understatement but on the plus side my bloods have been great today and I lost 2lbs from the bug!! Haha
Thanks for your help :) x

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you may not have a pdf reader on your phone, you can download the adobe app if you want to.. ....2lb....a silver lining in a cloud :)
if you do want to adjust your weight you can alter the amount of carbs you eat and replace the energy with health fats/oils [google eat fat lose weight]