My Low GI diet, counting the calories, and surviving with carbs

alliebee

I know. I felt for you reading about the weather...I'm so sorry. We started contacting hotels direct in areas ee wanted to dive and without fail we got better deals on the whole thing as the hotel works closely with good diving boats. And according to divers experience...we found all in all we saved loads this way. The hotel often offered all inclusive as a deal sweetener...worth a thought. This way we managed to dive in places not on the tourists raday and we set our own agenda

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Please don't mention sharks!! I've a pathological fear of them. I even sleep with my feet up in the bed and endure the pain of not putting my arm with a frozen shoulder out of side of bed for fear a shark may get me. I dream about them regularly too. I blame Jaws and my dad who was obsessed with them so had all the shark attack books. Of course I read them all.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just booking a train ticket with her, some ridiculous pricings show up.
We've a choice of 4 local staions, all a few miles away (10 to 15).
The journey vary from £17 to £37, between 2pm and 7.30pm.
But found the ideal one, 6pm, £18, all down to changing the station by a couple of miles away from the closest local one.
I wonder how they come up with it?

Is that for your trip to Stoney Cove?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not the easiest place to reach by train............

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to see what that Newcastle Diet has done to your hair. Well done for sticking with it :)

Reactions: 2 people

alliebee

Well the results are in

Fasting BG 4.8
HbA1c 5.3, or 34.4

Fasting is lower, and a nice stable HbA1c.

Trigs 0.9
HDL 1
LDL 1.5

so everything has dropped there since August.

All kidney and liver functions where they should be, apart from my liver ALT level.
That's marginally elevated, a point or two above the top limit. of normal, whereas last year it was in the bottom half of the range.
(Although in some ranges it's actually in the normal range)

It's no where near high enough to even register as a concern, as it's so close, (or even within), to the normal range, but it has gone up, and I don't like changes.
I have bean reading up on it, statins can raise ALT levels, and I have changed the statin this time around.
Alcohol can, and I did have a good summer, although I have been teetotal for the two weeks leading up to the test.
Very low calorie diets have been observed to raise ALT levels, (but not always).

But interestingly, it does point to the possibility of a fatty liver, whatever the cause, (or then agin it's a result of the diet?) but a few more weeks more of the Newcastle diet, still on the wagon, and I'll ask for another ALT test in a months time, when I see the nurse to discuss the results.
You are in the 5% club!!!! Well done you for sticking to the diet that suits you too...your tests speak for themselves. .fantastic. very pleased for you

PSS

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Douglas

Very inspirational posts.I am also trying to tale control
Of my diabetes. You have given me a lot of ideas.

I am 6 ft tall and weigh 83 kg. So not overweight. I am seeing the nurse soon and wil ask her about Newcastle diet. If it is for me.

By the way picked up a virus and didn't eat anything on Monday. my BG on Tue morning was 5.6. I felt great. I want to feel like that all the time.

Did you have any experience of hypos when trying out Newcastle diet?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like my dentist. He is very good. He listens to me. :) Before I got my new GP, I would rather go to the dentist than the doctor. It's horrid when doctors just don't listen. My dentist likes me because I pay him lots of money :(

I hope you feel better soon:)

Reactions: 4 people

PSS

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have the official letter today, after my eye screening last week.

'We are pleased to inform you that the results appear normal. This means you are at very little risk of sight threatening retinopathy at this time''

It does make me wonder, if that's how someone decided that's the good news letter, how do they phrase the bad news one?

@douglas99

My retinopathy letter also arrived yesterday. The results are same as last year, R1 in both eyes meaning there is some background retinopathy but nothing to worry about!

That is also good news in my book :)

PSS

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Going well.

5.4 after the meal
5.1 after a turkey mince pie (low fat, thigh meat with peas, carrot, spinach, and swede and sweet potato topping)
6.5 after a caramel cornetto, and some sugar and salt pop corn watching Taken 2 on dvd.

I firmly believe the exercise is the key to the BG numbers in my case, and if I can combine it with a sport I really like, even the better!

Hi there

I went for a 20 mins brisk walk yesterday and my BG went down from 9.2 to 7 ! You are absolutely correct exercise is the key !

Regards

PSS

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aaargh.

Totally off topic, (well unless you look at the fact it's a needle, sort off), just moved my record player, to dust it, and skidded the pick up arm across the turntable, as it wasn't clipped down as I thought it was Completely snapped the needle off the cartridge, I now need to find a replacement for a Sony ND142G cartridge, from circa 30 years ago.
(and it was a genuine Sony, not a replacement part)
Bad luck Douglas. Why not write to Sony. I've heard that sometimes they send replacements for free so it might be worth giving it a try if you have time to write them a letter.

Reactions: 4 people

alliebee

Aaargh.

Totally off topic, (well unless you look at the fact it's a needle, sort off), just moved my record player, to dust it, and skidded the pick up arm across the turntable, as it wasn't clipped down as I thought it was Completely snapped the needle off the cartridge, I now need to find a replacement for a Sony ND142G cartridge, from circa 30 years ago.
(and it was a genuine Sony, not a replacement part)
Oh no! I'm so feeling for you