My mum's feet

bingowings

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey, so my mum has type 2. She also has a lot of ailments which means she is in pain most of the time and can barely walk. She sits 99% of the time, regardless of my family encouraging her to move around, and only visits the loo with a great deal of effort. She's in a deep depression due to all this plus my dad having Alzheimer's.
So yesterday we discovered a break in her skin on the bottom of her foot. Think it started from a blister. Her skin is very thin due to steroids.
Mum being mum didn't want a fuss but, after speaking to a pharmacist, I requested a home visit for her as I know how dangerous this can be. No-one came. I'm going to try again today, but if they refuse, what can I do to help it heal? I've googled it obviously but I'm not finding a clear answer...just tell the doctor...which I already have. She's not able to go to the docs as the little walking she does is more painful than usual.
Thanks in advance x

Reactions: Friarygirl74

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is very difficult and you are right to be concerned .
I would definitely phone the gp and request a visit again, but if the practice is anything like my mums they will not come out.
Is it impossible to get her there,? Or perhaps a minor injuries or walk in centre?
If none of the above could you ask the practice dn to call you?

Its not really.something to tackle on your own but while you wait for help make sure to keep it clean and dry. Does she have good slippers?

Sorry I cant offer more advice, and I am sure others will be along to help.x

Reactions: bingowings

bingowings

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your reply
I called them again and found out they'd referred her to the district nurse, who should have contacted her but didn't. I know they struggle with staffing levels bit a quick phone call is less than a minute.
So we're just waiting now.
Getting her out is next to impossible. They have steps leading to the house and she just can't manage them now...and there's no way they'd move house. She has a wheelchair but refuses to use it! Hopefully once the depression lifts she'll feel more up to giving it a go.
She has the softest slippers ever! And never out of them!
I think all we can do is support and support x

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can understand your concern.
Hopefully the district nurse will come and assess the situation. In the meantime the suggestions above to keep the foot clean and dry are excellent. If you see any swelling or redness, or the pain increases, then please get back in touch with the surgery urgently.

Is she getting any help or treatment for the depression?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Depression often comes with isolation. I quite understand how your Mum feels about the wheelchair, I felt the same way, that once I got into the wheelchair I would never get out of it and that would mean admitting defeat. The truth is that the chair gave me more independence not less. It's not the same as Shank's Pony but it is better than festering indoors. It is a psychological barrier more than a physical one. Use gentle persuasion.

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
this sounds really hard. i know the district nurses in very many places are struggling to cope with all the patients they have, but you must keep on ringing them till someone contacts you or turns up - you can't cope with this on your own.

bingowings

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks all
The district nurse popped in and said she's not sure at the mo so soak them twice a day and moisterise and she'll pop back Monday. Mum's very much in denial and tells me she won't need it and it'll be fine. They come from the era of sorting themselves out so she feels they are a burden, which obviously they're not!
I have 3 brothers. One lives with them but works full-time. He sponges off mum and is a big drinker. Saying that he does see to my mum's birds. My older brother does bits and pieces...mending things...but makes excuses a lot. My other brother pops in rarely but he makes them laugh. I do all personal care...hair, toe nails and anything else they need. I have a challenging 16yr old with special needs so sometimes it difficult to get round. My husband is very understanding!
I think if I can get her eating better to control the diabetes better then I'm hoping that'll help her feet a lot. Trouble is she's in denial about it, even though she's on meds, so continues with the chips and cakes and high fat and sugar ready meals. We've tried to convince them to get meals on wheels but that's a big no!
It's a juggle but doable.
I shall persevere with gentle persuasion and keep making sure she gets the medical help she needs x

mrsAP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much
This sounds a very difficult situation for you. When the District nurse visits perhaps ask her for a referral to the community occupational therapists as they can assess & provide (some) equipment which will help your mum access her property or just to be able to live a little more independently within her home. A physiotherapist could provide a walking aid that would allow your mum to get around without taking so much weight through her painful foot. I really hope your mum gets sorted out soon.

bingowings

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The district nurse didn't come back! I've strapped it up and going to change it daily...and pray it helps. I've asked mum to make an appointment with her gp soon as poss and she agreed! Progress!
We didn't think about seeing a physio so going to ask