My readings on my meter are all over the place.

Taffy Foulkes

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Hello Everybody,I am new to this site,and pretty new to Diabetes.I have read a few of the forums on the site,and I can see there is a lot of help for me on it.
I have had a couple of heart attacks,which now I cope with quite well,but having now Diabetes as well has thrown me a bit.I am a very active person,don't sit around all day and go for regular 3 mile walks with my dog.So thats my history,I think.Anyway I saw my GP Nurse last Wednesday she give me all the ins and outs and to be fair she was brilliant.She has given me a meter and I have been using it as instructed.But the readings are all over the place.Take this morning,my first reading when I got up was 2,I had 120 mils of original Lucozade,then had my breakfast of porridge,took another reading about 1hr later and it had jumped up too 15.7,and the readings are like this most of the day,all over the place.My wife and myself have changed our eating habits,which to be honest were not too bad before.So at the moment I would like to ask you any tips on how to get my readings more stable?Thank you Dave.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Early days yet Dave and without knowing your meds or diet, it's difficult to give any practical advice. I would keep a diary and log all your BG readings, meds taken and amount of carbs eaten. You can then give this info to your doc/nurse who can advise accordingly. Food labels will tell you carb content, if not, there are apps called Carbs & Cals or MyFitnessPal which will help. It's a lot to take in at the start but you'll soon start getting the hang of it.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

David Gray

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi Dave, you don't say what type your diabetes is, but as a type 1, if I had lucozade and porridge, both high carb, and no insulin, i'm sure my readings would be 15! Are you taking insulin to enable your body to process the glucose?

Taffy Foulkes

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Hi all,thanks for your comments,I am type 2 David.Mo,I have started a Log.
I have had porridge for breakfast for a few years,as I believe it is good for my Cholesterol.
On the leaflet I had from my GP NURSE it said if my reading is low,take 120mls of Lucozade,which I did this morning.I can also use other things like 5 Jelly Babies,I like Jelly babies,so I don't mind that.:) Just done a reading before lunch,it was 10.
Mo,the other medication that I am on is:-Quinine Sulphate.
Aspirin Dispersible
Biisoprol Tablets
Perindopril Erbumine Tablets
Isosorbide Mononitrate Tablets
Atorvastatin Tablets.
All for my heart problems,besides the Quinine which is for cramps.
Thanks again one and all.Dave.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
3 jelly babies should suffice for a hypo, possibly 4 if levels are under 3.

Make sure you eat them head first!!

Reactions: 2 people