My Story

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What vitamins do you take? I'm always interested in natural approaches to various health issues.

SharonLondon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes, aniseed, diets.
Congratulations on your amazing journey! I think you should feel very proud of yourself. Please could you share what supplements you take and at what doses to help the neuropathy and retinopathy?

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So has anyone on here tried vitamins, cause I honestly believe they have fixed me. When I researched every vitamin for nerves and blood circulation and got the highest dose of all of them online and did it in conjunction with exercise and after 18 months the improvement was way better than I expected and I think it'll still improve. So have you tried ones for your eyes, cause I have background retinopathy but nothing serious enough to bother with these days. And I take ones for the eyes anyway. It costs a few hundred to get them all but just wondering if anyone tried it.
Hi,

I tend to take mine from the nutritional value in the diet. Even if “run down,” (cold or flu?) I prefer that option than popping a pot of pills.

Anything that can have a positive effect on your health that works for you to improve quality of life has got to be a plus..

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's certainly worth trying a pen device that measures half-units. I definitely couldn't manage without being able to do it. It's so depressing that medical professionals don't realise such things are available, which means they don't suggest we use them when they would be useful to us, so the manufacturer's decide there's no demand for them, so they stop them being produced. It's a vicious circle.

jasmith1990

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Reusable half unit pens (NovoEcho) are available for all NovoNordisk insulin including Fiasp.
Pumps are expensive and you may struggle to justify the extra cost when all you need is half units
I get all my prescription on the NHS I'm British, so I'm lucky that way. Feel sorry for any Americans, that is brutal, I dunno what I'd do in that scenario. Think about that tbf, there was some film on Netflix with a chick that had it and she couldn't afford the insulin and was halving her doses and stuff.

jasmith1990

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What vitamins do you take? I'm always interested in natural approaches to various health issues.
Vitamin D3 4000IU
Vitamin B12 1500ug
Vitamin B1 500mg
Vitamin B6 100mg (only take on weekends sat and sun)
Vitamin A 10,000IU (only take on weekends sat and sun)
Vitamin C, Zinc & Iron 1200mg (only take on weekends sat and sun)
Alpha Lipoic Acid 650mg
N-Acetyle-Cysteine 600mg
OMEGA 3 2000mg
L-Arginine 1000mg
Acetyle L-Carnitine 500mg
Chromium 1000ug

That's what I took in conjunction with weights 3 times a week (legs every session) and sometimes an extra day of just cardio on the weekend. Also got insoles fitted by the NHS and got some off the net and put them in all my shoes and I don't walk around bare footed often anymore.

• Informative
Reactions: BigKit and Outlier

jasmith1990

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I tend to take mine from the nutritional value in the diet. Even if “run down,” (cold or flu?) I prefer that option than popping a pot of pills.

Anything that can have a positive effect on your health that works for you to improve quality of life has got to be a plus..
I just looked up every vitamin that encourages nerve regrowth and improves blood circulation and did it every day with exercise for 18 months. And I haven't stopped at all, like you have to keep going relentlessly.

jasmith1990

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's certainly worth trying a pen device that measures half-units. I definitely couldn't manage without being able to do it. It's so depressing that medical professionals don't realise such things are available, which means they don't suggest we use them when they would be useful to us, so the manufacturer's decide there's no demand for them, so they stop them being produced. It's a vicious circle.
Yeh I have a pen that measures them, but when they switched my insulin they put me on pre filled pens and I tried to get off them onto cartirdges but with Covid no one was doing anything really so I just made do with this. Might still try switch over. Or when you set a unit you could pull the thing out and put it between 1 and 2 for .5, like the end part you twist for units. But it's old, I had it from the mid 2000s so I've only in the last 2 years updated my regime.

jasmith1990

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And for anyone wondering, it took about 6 months to get to a level where I could feel a difference in my body, it's not overnight. You have to commit to it seriously. Like I'm about to go to the gym now at 11pm to do some but I live 5 minutes from a gym so it's easy for me and it's 24 hours. And I'm in there for an hour and a half pretty much every time I go and I'm basically bodybuilding (but not on that type of level cause I'm not interested in being that big), with some cardio. Like I watch people go in there and do small weights and not really get anything off it, I was pushing myself to sickness in the beginning. Now I've tripled my strength. So I really do it properly, with protein and everything. If you go in there and just loosely do some stuff and then leave after 20-30 minutes, you won't do what I've done. But anything is better than nothing that pumps your heart and gets blood circulating, so if you can't get to a gym invest in some equipment. Get a bike or a treadmill and some free weights or something, and a pull up bar. Obviously for women it's different. I was doing it all through Covid when the gyms were closed with stuff in my flat. My heart rate went from 85-90bpm to 57bpm and it goes up to about 75 now. It's probably all part of it tbf. And I smoked every day from about 13, and I smoked weed an insane amount like if I could see the number of joints I've smoked with tobacco in my life it'd probably disgust me. Even when my mum moved down the side of the house was a huge pile of spliff ends stacked up from about 7 years and that's just what I had there in the evening. So I can't even count the amount thousands and thousands, and with the cigarettes as well it's mad. I'm surprised I'm still going. Even yesterday I did a finger prick cause my Libre wasn't working properly it was off target and it was 1.5 and I'm walking around and talking and doing everything normally, so my body has had years of hypos to get to that level. I'm like immune, I have to go severely low into the 0s or be moving around a lot to know about it. And also weed lowers your blood sugar, so even in those years I didn't do insulin I was smoking weed the whole time so that probably saved me as well. Cause every time I've smoked a joint in years of having it under 10, my blood sugar dips into hypo so I didn't even know these things. It's just combination of luck and circumstance that probably stopped me being in a worse position. Cause weed isn't actually bad. Tobacco and smoking is what's bad for your lungs and circulation and disease. If you just ingested it you'd probably have no issues apart from with your blood sugar dropping. I can't talk for every person cause I know someone who got schizophrenia off skunk, but it depends what you're doing and with what and knowing about CBD, so you should never do it without knowing about THC and CBD ratio if you wanna keep your mental health. But that's another story. There's a lot of myths about it though, that's what's dangerous.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigKit