My Tale

iStormUK

I guess, since I've done the intro blurb, should post a little about my diagnosis.

Picture this, 2016, I had an issue in my undergarments that was causing me to invest in an increasing number of antiseptic, then anesthetic creams (An itch that was starting to get store from all the **** scratching Might have helped to invest in the latter first though lol). So I popped into an Emergency Drop in centre, as it had affected my ability to use the bathroom by then.

They made me do a urine sample, and sat me down, talked me through how I had glucose and ketones in it, and rather than ask if I was diabetic, made the assumption I was, asked when I last had a test, did a needle prick test thingy. Everything that was NOT related to the issue I went in with (Hate doctors), advised me to go see one. Hadn't gotten one, usually avoid them they always give bad news.

Just my luck, I signed up just to disprove the nurse, and they ran me through a blood test, then a second, and a prescribed me 1000mg metformin as a trial run, before sucking more blood only a month later.

Only JUST officially been labelled as Type-2, after being on my third prescription now, at 2000mg a day. Health in other areas markedly improved, lost 12kg since initial prognosis, which I'm not sure is good or bad, I missed a blood test. I work, and hard too, so getting time off for the many dozens of little appointments is putting my job at risk now, so I had to forgo one or lose it. So my recent blood test result is unknown, and I'm scheduled for it April 26th instead now.

I'm tired, I'm hurt - nurses like to inflict pain with their eyes and eye drops, and on a few occasions have started to wonder why on Earth i am bothering to try and improve anything about this diabetic BS, when everything else going on in my life is so ****.

I am, however still here, and I am working to improve things for unknown reasons - low carb diet, higher in protein, more walking, which ironically is now so easy I've walked distances I would normally avoid, before realising I did so, so ya know, that was a nice touch. And I am hoping to get a cycle this weekend for saving money on the bus, and improving my fitness.

I do feel increasingly more alone now, than ever, and whilst I am analytical enough to know this is actually quite minor, and manageable, I've this pessimistic nature that makes diabetes feel like Death's scythe is just above me waiting. Furthered by an accidental overdose on metformin recently because I lost track of myself. :S

I have much kudos to those out there who have had it longer than I, I am finding it a great burden. Lots of time shopping, wondernig, worrying, avoiding things, etc.

Anyway, Three months in now. And I am seemingly coping I guess

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It does get easier and the longer you have it the more adept you get at juggling things like shopping, blood tests, eating, doctors appointments etc. The doctors appointments are important but perhaps you could schedule them for more appropriate times for you. I know t depends a lot on surgery hours and whether or not bloods are involved. Take heart though, I've been at this game 26 years and counting!

Reactions: cpea and Ultramum

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @iStormUK .. and welcome
It does get easier .. and you have made a really good move coming here. You will find lots of folk here who can understand and relate to what is happening to you .. and lots with the knowledge and experience to answer all your questions. So ask away ..

Reactions: Ultramum

DiabeticDadUK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @iStormUK

That was superbly written. If you feel you're coping then you probably are. Over time things do get easier and it just becomes life. I'm 32 years in and I'm far from perfect. I have more good days than bad, though. Just keep fighting the good fight :)

Reactions: Ultramum

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was struggling with medical appointments as I was diagnosed just two weeks before I started a new job. Trying to get appointments at times to fit around work have been a nightmare. But the good news is, after three months following advice from here, my weight is down, my BG is down, and at my last appointment the doctor said she now didn't need to see me for another six months because its improving so well.

Last weekend and earlier this week I was starting to think I wanted some of the old food I used to eat, but a few new ingredients in the fridge and I'm happy again already.

This all started for me in late 2016, so I'm new to it like you. There will be down days, but so far for me I feel so much better than I realise I had in years.

All in all, keep at it, you know you can do it.