My week off

s230787

Hi All

Just thought i'd share this with you.

So last week i headed off to the grand city of New York. I had decided that seeing as though this was my first (possibly only) trip to America i was going to enjoy it to the max. I decided that for one week only i would come off my low carb diet and indulge a little.

So on the plane we were presented with the stodge, bread, pasta, cake and i was in my element! As the week went on i treated myself to chips, potato grit, toast and burger buns, and on one night i even had a biiiig ice cream. So by day 3 without realising i had been to the loo 3 times in one morning, i checked my sugar... 30mmol!!!! :shock: and I felt awful. i was injecting huge amounts of insulin but had lost all control, i felt sluggish and bloated. i wanted to go back to low carb there and then but stuck it out until the end of the week.

Ive been home since saturday and went straight back to low carb, i feel tonnes better and have much better insulin control, almost finding i need a little less than before I went away and my BS are back down to 4-7mmol. Overall I put on 2lb in weight, I had an excellent time and glad i came off low carb, but it has made me realise that this is the best thing for me.

Eating the stodge felt good at the time, but i soon realised i dont miss it, and in fact missed my low carb diet more! :lol:

Defren

Once you get used to a low carb diet, it's alien to think of eating any other way. Also, I have read far too many tales like yours where people feel ill eating carbs again. I am also off to the States later this year, and if I have to live on lettuce, I won't eat carbs. Part of my time away is with friends, and they are going to make sure everything I have while there is very low carb.

s230787

Hi Defren

Yes i have decided that I dont miss bread at all, and my alternative to pasta (eatwater.co.uk) satisfies my craving for pasta. I found it funny that whilst I had allowed myself to eat what I wanted... I missed my low carb snacks and food more!

I am sure in America if eating out the restaurants woudl accomodate your diet and replace bread with flat mushrooms (to act as a bap) on burgers etc.

As i said ive found the blowout on carbs to have actually helped a little, my insulin intake now is less than before so whereas i was taking 7 units of rapid at breakfast i only need 5 at the moment etc. We'll see how long it lasts though!

Hope you have a fantastic time in the states, I loved NY

Defren

I am going to sunny California. I am sure things will be fine, Americans although they have a huge love affair with carbs, especially carb rich sauces and dressings are usually very accommodating, so although a little concerned while I am there, not overly so. My problem is while you're on holiday, it's so easy to just grab a snack, which is what I have done before, and not given it a thought. Now I must. At least the second part of my time away will be fine, with lots of home cooked low carb food.