My Wife Refuses Insulin

Bic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dear friend,
I have been type 1 for some 30 years now (I was diagnosed at 22) and insulin is what allowed me to live, study, work, find he best of husbands, travel around, dancing, don pretty clothes, making friends and enjoy life. I am grateful for it. That's why I really don't think that scaring people can be useful, when it comes to taking medication or making health choices (that's what many health pros tend to do, yes, but that's another matter). Why don't you try to stress the good that would come out of taking insulin? Not so much the general, first-rate advantages ('you will live longer, avoid that risk and the other' etc.…) but something she may care for, now and here: things like walking better, feeling less and less pain, helping care for your grandchildren, feeling like meeting friends again and going out with them (for a look to the shop-windows or something else she may like doing), being able to go on a trip somewhere in your wonderful country, or having a second honeymoon in some gorgeous place you have always wanted to visit… Well, I'm not very imaginative as you can see, but life IS so tasty.
And your wife knows that as well as anyone else: for one, you have children. She didn't let the fear of pain (or of weight gain, for that matters) stop her from giving birth. What is an insulin shot, in comparison?
I'm not a health professional nor a counsellor (I'm sure you will seek help from both kind, as they'll have many more useful solutions for you), but if I were you I would probably try to seduce her into the pleasures of life again, starting from little day-to-day things. Some little thing she may care for just now, something she will be able to do better, with more ease and without pain once her numbers get a little (and then a lot) better.
I hope you and your family will soon find a way out from your painful situation. Please do seek professional help as well. I will keep you in mind and hope for the best with all my might. Best wishes.
Barbara

Reactions: 2 people

Teddysmum

My husband's friend resisted taking insulin for ages, but he was found unconscious because of a foot infection and taken to hospital where they gave it to him.

He, now , happily uses, saying it's the best thing he's done for years and wishes he hadn't been so difficult.