MySugr app 'deviation'

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This is probably related to a small language gap (English isn't my first language) but I use MySugr to keep track of everything.

One of its features is a +- mmol/L deviation. I don't know exactly what this means and how I should interpret it though. Can someone explain this to me?

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@DaftThoughts if you are referring to the bit I think you are, then it is telling you the 'range' of your blood values either side of the mean, which is that figure, so how far spread they are on either side of that. So if I had values of 4, 5, and 6, the mean would be 5, with a deviation of +-1. The smaller the deviation is, the more consistent your readings are, so ideally you want that number to be as small as possible.

Hope that helps :)

Reactions: Ultramum

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@DaftThoughts if you are referring to the bit I think you are, then it is telling you the 'range' of your blood values either side of the mean, which is that figure, so how far spread they are on either side of that. So if I had values of 4, 5, and 6, the mean would be 5, with a deviation of +-1. The smaller the deviation is, the more consistent your readings are, so ideally you want that number to be as small as possible.

Hope that helps :)
Thank you, that does explain it!

Seems to be consistently between 1 and 1.5 so I think that is pretty good?

Reactions: EllsKBells

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Wow, I'm jealous! I wish mine was that consistent!

In isolation it doesn't really tell you if your control is good or bad - if your deviation is +-1, that isn't great if your mean is 11, in the same way that a mean of 6 still isn't totally brilliant if your deviation is +-5. Combining the figures is when they become useful.

I always think that it would be great if Hba1c values came with that figure - I know for instance that my last Hba1c wasn't as horrific as I was expecting, because whilst I was far too high a lot, I was also extremely low a lot, which made the average look lower, the same as it would look if I was consistently running a bit too high.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes, its very good. It is believed that the standard variation is the most important thing to control. The smaller the gap either side of the mean, consistently, is good and far better than lots of swings up and down. The average may end up the same, but the swings are causing damage. Well done.

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow, I'm jealous! I wish mine was that consistent!

In isolation it doesn't really tell you if your control is good or bad - if your deviation is +-1, that isn't great if your mean is 11, in the same way that a mean of 6 still isn't totally brilliant if your deviation is +-5. Combining the figures is when they become useful.

I always think that it would be great if Hba1c values came with that figure - I know for instance that my last Hba1c wasn't as horrific as I was expecting, because whilst I was far too high a lot, I was also extremely low a lot, which made the average look lower, the same as it would look if I was consistently running a bit too high.
My HbA1c has gone down already, including a month from before I was on insulin, a month of getting adjusted and figuring out ratios, and a month of having fairly good control, so that seems like a solid combination to me! Thank you. :) The app estimates it'll be between 6-6.5% if I keep this trend going (6.2% at current) which I'm pretty happy to reach for now.

Yes, its very good. It is believed that the standard variation is the most important thing to control. The smaller the gap either side of the mean, consistently, is good and far better than lots of swings up and down. The average may end up the same, but the swings are causing damage. Well done.
I had no idea! Thank you, I'm pretty stoked about this myself now that I know!

ScottKJohnson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
This is probably related to a small language gap (English isn't my first language) but I use MySugr to keep track of everything.

One of its features is a +- mmol/L deviation. I don't know exactly what this means and how I should interpret it though. Can someone explain this to me?

Hi, everyone! Great question and lots of great explanations here. I thought I'd jump in and offer a quick thought or two from our (mySugr) perspective.

As Ells & Blue have described, the standard deviation is a measure of how stable your blood sugar is. The thinking in the clinical community is that it (your standard deviation) should be less than 1/3 of your average. Ideally, you'll want to keep a close eye on both values (average & deviation). You can also "swipe" left & right on that panel to get stats for the last 7, 14, 30 & 90 days, which might be helpful.

Let us know if you have questions, and thanks for the great discussion!

Scott from mySugr

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, everyone! Great question and lots of great explanations here. I thought I'd jump in and offer a quick thought or two from our (mySugr) perspective.

As Ells & Blue have described, the standard deviation is a measure of how stable your blood sugar is. The thinking in the clinical community is that it (your standard deviation) should be less than 1/3 of your average. Ideally, you'll want to keep a close eye on both values (average & deviation). You can also "swipe" left & right on that panel to get stats for the last 7, 14, 30 & 90 days, which might be helpful.

Scott from mySugr

Thank you very much! Appreciate the info. :)

tan800

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
running

Scott from mySugr

Wonder how to retrieve log data, say, 1 year go by swipe left? I tried to use mySugr last year, saved, now trying to retrieve the log, could not figure it out.

Thanks

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wonder how to retrieve log data, say, 1 year go by swipe left? I tried to use mySugr last year, saved, now trying to retrieve the log, could not figure it out.

Thanks
Assuming you logged into the account that you used back then. Tap the menu icon, then go to Reports. Set the date range to the period where you used the app and either export or send the resulting file. :)

Reactions: Ultramum