Need Some Advice Type 1

Tuki23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dear All,

First off all I am really grateful that this community exists and it helped me a lot when I was first diagnosed!

I have been reading the forum since I found out I have diabetes but this is the first time that I post something on the forum. I really need some advice regarding my situation.

I was diagnosed in February this year with an A1C of 9.3% and a positive antibody test, was in the hospital for more then 2 weeks where I was put on a daily dose of 12UI from Lantus and 1UI for every 10 carbs I eat. After 1 week from my hospital visit my sugar levels started to drop to the point that I didn't need insulin for 2-3 weeks. I guess this was the honeymoon phase. Now the part where I need the advice ... Slowly I went back to 4UI of Lantus and around 3-4 UI Novorapid a day (I eat extremely low carb ... around 10g a day! - also I am doing intermittent fasting, I eat 1800-2000 calories in a 5 hour window) This kept my sugar levels stable for a few months, until three days ago when I got a hypo without any warning. Since then , this would be the third day that I am not using any insulin again.

So the question would be : is this normal ? does this happen to anyone else ? Just to recap
February : Diagnosed , 12UI Lantus 4-5UI Novorapid A1C 9.3%
April: a few weeks without insulin then 4-5UI Lantus, 3-4UI Novorapid A1C 6.3% (two months after diagnosis)
June: 3-4 UI Lantus, 3-4 UI Lantus A1C 5.2%
July: Again no Insulin, avrage sugar level : 88mg/dl

I am a little baffled because I have to check my sugar extensively and I didn't find anything about this issue.

Thank you for all your help and have a nice week.

Attachments

• 19691144_10209720249065110_308782627_n.jpg
    19691144_10209720249065110_308782627_n.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 150
  • 19668004_10209720248905106_1837836285_n.jpg
    19668004_10209720248905106_1837836285_n.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 144

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Well a couple of suggestions might be.
1. You are still honeymooning so you are producing your own insulin.
2. Warmer weather can increase insulin sensitivity.
But I'm not a medic and have no real answers.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Tuki23 Welcome to the forum and good to read your first post.

It seems perfectly logical that your pancreas has kicked into action again, diagnosis and subsequent insulin therapy can relieve the stress it is under and so gives your blood glucose levels some respite, I take it you are reporting your results back to a healthcare professional/diabetes nurse ? Keep up with the testing as it will then indicate when things change as they inevitably do when the honeymoon ends but well done on maintaining such amazing results :)

Tuki23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you for the reply. New research shows that the majority of Type1 patients still produce insulin but I did not thought that the production can go up , down and up again (it seems my body can regenerate Beta cells quicker then my immune system is killing them).

I do standards blood tests from 3 to 3 months but other then that my healthcare professional is not that ... smart. Last advice he gave me to use less insulin and eat more carbs , when I asked him why should I eat more carbs that answer was ... because they taste good... I am not saying he is not right but I think with any type of diabetes carb control is the answer.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It sounds like the honeymoon period to me @Tuki23 Insulin production can be really erratic then.

All you can do is keep testing and reacting, being especially careful about unexpected hypos.