Need some help please with low sugars

mel1990

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
I was diagnosed with type 2 a few months ago. My doctor thought I had cardio-metabolic syndrome because my blood pressure was very high and I also had elevated liver enzymes/lipids. She wanted to put me on sth injectable but wanted to do more investigation.
I have not started any medication yet but my sugar has been going down a lot recently, except mornings. It's usually around 3.8/3.9, 2 hours after having a good sized meal. I asked the nurse but she was not sure what was happening. I really don't know what to do as I get very shaky when my sugar goes down. I'm not even sure I have diabetes anymore. Any help is really appreciated. Thanks

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome :)

What do you eat for your meals? Have you lost weight since you were diagnosed (if you had any to lose, that is)?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
What are your fasting blood levels?
You could be having false hypos!

mel1990

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, thanks. I lost 4 kilos in the past 4 weeks since I started getting hypos. My fasting levels are usually between 7-8.5. I have had a few normal readings. I usually eat meat, Vegs and rice for dinner and some protein and a slice of toast for lunch. I was very hungry today so had a large meal but the sugar went down to 3.9 soon after. I'm getting very confused. Thanks guys

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It may be worth your while writing down your result and what you eat for a few days so that you have an accurate picture of what's happening. You can then show that to your doctor and get their advice.

3.9 is still in the normal range. Remember too that blood meters are not precisely accurate, so, for example, could read 3.9 when your blood sugar is 4.8.

If it was me, I'd make some good notes of tests and food, and then go back to my surgery. I hope you get an answer :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Test your bloods when you feel shaky!
Do record before eating, one hour and two hours after your meal, then keep an eye on what happens next.
I still believe you are having false hypos, because you're fasting bloods are in the diabetic range, but only just!

mel1990

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks nosher. I also thought about false hypos. I have been recording them for 2 weeks and will carry on doing for another 2 weeks. I hope that I will get an answer from my doctor.

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks nosher. I also thought about false hypos. I have been recording them for 2 weeks and will carry on doing for another 2 weeks. I hope that I will get an answer from my doctor.
Let me know if you go below normal levels!
Anything below 3.5 is considered a hypo!
But make sure you take action if you do, don't suffer, always eat some carbs or sugar.