Need some help

Bazzakins

I’m type 2, 15years, been taking Metformin 500mg twice a day for about three years. Ive started using a Libre 2 sensor, this is my third weeks It estimates H1abc at 5.9mmol. I’m following a low carb diet. Today after a bike ride this afternoon my numbers have plummeted to 2.8 and fluctuated around up to 4.2 and now back to 2.9. I’ve eaten a couple of rich tea biscuits, some diabetic chocolate even a gin and water but numbers still down. I’ve never seen these red band readings before. Tried to check the readings with my Free style meter but I haven’t used it for so long it’s defunct. It’s the same one they gave me 15 years ago. Have changed battery. Should I be concerned?

Attachments

• IMG_1709584198.116223.jpg
    IMG_1709584198.116223.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 54

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m type 2, 15years, been taking Metformin 500mg twice a day for about three years. Ive started using a Libre 2 sensor, this is my third weeks It estimates H1abc at 5.9mmol. I’m following a low carb diet. Today after a bike ride this afternoon my numbers have plummeted to 2.8 and fluctuated around up to 4.2 and now back to 2.9. I’ve eaten a couple of rich tea biscuits, some diabetic chocolate even a gin and water but numbers still down. I’ve never seen these red band readings before. Tried to check the readings with my Free style meter but I haven’t used it for so long it’s defunct. It’s the same one they gave me 15 years ago. Have changed battery. Should I be concerned?
Hi @Bazzakins , if you don't feel unwell, I would not believe those Libre readings.
My Libres tend to read lower than blood by about 1 to 2 mmol/l, should it be the same for you, you might simply be having perfect numbers.
Could also be a dodgy sensor, no way to tell without a fingerprick.

I think it's time to buy another glucose meter and some strips. Tagging @Rachox for her up to date information on buying a meter in the UK.

Reactions: EllieM

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with @Antje77 , you need to recheck your blood sugars with a finger prick, here’s some info with links for UK meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned.

HOME HEALTH have the Gluco Navii, which is a fairly new model and seems to be getting good reviews.

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-produ...ose-meter-test-strips-choose-mmol-l-or-mg-dl/

Links to the strips for future orders:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/glucose-navii-blood-glucose-test-strips-50-strip-pack/

Then they sell the older SD Code Free, details to be found here!

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/

SPIRIT HEALTHCARE have a meter called the Tee2 + which is quite popular:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...e2-blood-glucose-meter?variant=19264017268793

The strips are to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...py-of-tee2-test-strips?variant=19264017367097

If there is a choice of units of measurement then ‘mmol/L’ are the standard units in the UK, ‘mg/dl’ in the US, other countries may vary.

Don’t forget to check the box if you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

Reactions: Antje77

Bazzakins

Hi @Bazzakins , if you don't feel unwell, I would not believe those Libre readings.
My Libres tend to read lower than blood by about 1 to 2 mmol/l, should it be the same for you, you might simply be having perfect numbers.
Could also be a dodgy sensor, no way to tell without a fingerprick.

I think it's time to buy another glucose meter and some strips. Tagging @Rachox for her up to date information on buying a meter in the UK.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you, that’s reassuring, I feel fine so I will as you suggest get another fingerpick tester.
Glad you're reassured!
I know how hard it is to tell yourself it's just a lying sensor and not a real hypo.
As a T1 on insulin, I've spent so many teststrips verifying Libre lows I knew weren't lows, but still...

Reactions: EllieM

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just one other point - don't know why you had a gin when you thought your BG was low. Gin has zero carbs (so won'r help get your BG up) and processing the alcohol will tie up your liver for some time, so it won't be adding glucose from stores.

If I really was low, and wanted to raise my BG, spirits would be the last thing I'd drink.

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And just to add from what KennyA says about Gin. Alcohol, especially hard liquor, can actually lower your blood sugars, especially so if you drink on an empty stomach. Our livers are amazing organs. The liver stores large amounts of glycogen for later use when our blood sugars go low. It's a finely tuned mechanism. The release process is called gluconeogenesis ie the breakdown of glucose. LIquor inhibits this releasing process and your blood sugar will remain low or go even lower. I often joke that the liver cannot walk and talk at the same time after consuming alcohol. As KennyA says Gin has no calories unlike beer which is quite carby. If you take your gin with tonic water that can mess things up still further as tonic water contains quinine. Quinine lowers blood sugar as well so it's a double whammy. Sometimes are favourite drinks can bite back.