Needing more and more insulin - reacting constantly

Brookemurph

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
Just looking for advice. I’ve been type 1 for almost 2 years now and when first diagnosed I was on it! Over the last year I’ve really lost control over my blood sugars and have been fighting to get them back.

I’m finding that I’m constantly reacting to something, a high or a low. I’ve injected 7 times already today and this is with weighing out my food and carb counting to a ratio suggested by my diabetes nurse.

It feels endless with sudden spikes but prebolusing then going low then shooting up high hours and hours later!

I feel like I’m needing more and more insulin but it feels shameful or wrong to need so much.

Any advice?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
At only 2 years in, it's to be expected your insulin needs rise as your beta cells are slowly being killed.
This is the honeymoon period, where your pancreas is still producing some insulin.
For me, it took about 5 years before the amount of insulin more or less settled, which doesn't mean my needs don't fluctuate on a daily basis, that's something I expect will happen for the rest of my life.
I’m finding that I’m constantly reacting to something, a high or a low. I’ve injected 7 times already today and this is with weighing out my food and carb counting to a ratio suggested by my diabetes nurse.
It all starts with the right amount of basal. Have you done any basal testing lately to see how it's doing without adding food and bolus insulin to the mix?
The ratio suggested by your nurse may be off, or may not be the same every day.
Do you use the same ratio all day? Most of us find that we need different amounts of insulin for the same amount of carbs depending on time of day, usually we need more insulin in the morning.

Would you be up to keeping a diary for a bit, to log insulin, food, and BG? This can be very helpful to find patterns, which can help you tweak your insulin or your food.
I feel like I’m needing more and more insulin but it feels shameful or wrong to need so much.
Please try to convince yourself there's nothing wrong or shameful about it.
All those non-diabetics around you are using insulin all the time without even thinking about it. Some of them need more, so they produce more, some need less so they produce less, and none of them have a clue or put a judgement on it.
You're trying to do the work their pancreas is doing all by itself, and that's no mean feat!

For what it's worth, I use just over a 100 units of basal, plus bolus as needed, and I still manage very healthy numbers. I don't mind needing relatively large doses as long as it keeps me healthy.

Brookemurph

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
At only 2 years in, it's to be expected your insulin needs rise as your beta cells are slowly being killed.
This is the honeymoon period, where your pancreas is still producing some insulin.
For me, it took about 5 years before the amount of insulin more or less settled, which doesn't mean my needs don't fluctuate on a daily basis, that's something I expect will happen for the rest of my life.

It all starts with the right amount of basal. Have you done any basal testing lately to see how it's doing without adding food and bolus insulin to the mix?
The ratio suggested by your nurse may be off, or may not be the same every day.
Do you use the same ratio all day? Most of us find that we need different amounts of insulin for the same amount of carbs depending on time of day, usually we need more insulin in the morning.

Would you be up to keeping a diary for a bit, to log insulin, food, and BG? This can be very helpful to find patterns, which can help you tweak your insulin or your food.

Please try to convince yourself there's nothing wrong or shameful about it.
All those non-diabetics around you are using insulin all the time without even thinking about it. Some of them need more, so they produce more, some need less so they produce less, and none of them have a clue or put a judgement on it.
You're trying to do the work their pancreas is doing all by itself, and that's no mean feat!

For what it's worth, I use just over a 100 units of basal, plus bolus as needed, and I still manage very healthy numbers. I don't mind needing relatively large doses as long as it keeps me healthy.
Basal and bolus testing is something I’ve heard of but never really tried, something to look into!

In terms of insulin amounts, I’ve never thought to think of it like that and it’s brought me a lot of comfort so thank you!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't have a link at hand, but I think @Jaylee has a useful link on basal testing.

As for the bolus, it's mainly about logging carbs, insulin and before and after food numbers to find out how much insulin you need for how many carbs at what time of day.
Takes some patience though, and diabetes likes to change the rules mid-game. :bored: It can still give you a very good idea on what you need though. It's not as if your diabetes nurse magically knows your ratios, she just makes an educated guess as well.

Very happy I've made you feel a bit better about it! :joyful: