Needing something sweet

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Love your snacks! I've got walnuts, almonds, salami, Crackerbread (polystyrene!), peanut butter and Stilton. I'm a bit nervous getting other things at the moment. I'm trying to stick to 50-90 carbs and I need to lose weight, so am worried about fatty things. So far what I've eaten has been over on fats. I shouldn't go over 53g. It's the olive oil and vinegar dressing I have on salads, cream, butter, cheese etc. they are so high in calories. According to myfitnesspal I should go over 1400 cals.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Love your snacks! I've got walnuts, almonds, salami, Crackerbread (polystyrene!), peanut butter and Stilton. I'm a bit nervous getting other things at the moment. I'm trying to stick to 50-90 carbs and I need to lose weight, so am worried about fatty things. So far what I've eaten has been over on fats. I shouldn't go over 53g. It's the olive oil and vinegar dressing I have on salads, cream, butter, cheese etc. they are so high in calories. According to myfitnesspal I should go over 1400 cals.

Have you got the 53g maximum fat from MFP? That seems very low to me if you are on 50g carbs. My fat intake was much higher than that and I was on 1200 calories when I used MFP. I can't remember what is was and MFP is refusing to let me log in to have a look!

M

mrspuddleduck

My guilty pleasure.... Marks and Sparks sugar free rhubarb and custard drops! They're a bit pricey, about 80p for a little box (they are by the till), but you only need one to satisfy that sudden desperate sugar craving so they last for ages! They do strawberry and custard ones too..... :):):) Sue xxx

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The reason why some people say not to eat foods like salami and chorizo is not that they aren't low carb (many are both low in carbs and high in fats) but more that they have chosen not to include any or certain processed foods in their diets -.I suppose you'd call it a purist style LCHF! :wideyed: So you read the nutritional labels, look at the ingredients (e.g. check for starchy fillers, and lots of chemicals) and if they otherwise meet LCHF criteria, then you have to use your common sense and make your own judgement call. Often it's a matter of everything in moderation. Your low carb diet is what you choose to make it, both carbs and contents wise, and your meter is your guide as to whether you're choosing sensibly or not.

Robbity

Evelynross

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm from the North east of Scotland , there is a famous recipe up here called Cullen skink, I've seen Nick Nairns make it and I love it. Main ingredient ? Potato!!! Well, I tried it tonight with cauliflower , best meal since I got this awful disease! Smoked haddock, half an onion, cauliflower, little water, double cream. Cook until cauliflower breaks up( at least 30 mins) deelish! You can pop in some smoked bacon chopped up small x

Reactions: 6 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm from the North east of Scotland , there is a famous recipe up here called Cullen skink, I've seen Nick Nairns make it and I love it. Main ingredient ? Potato!!! Well, I tried it tonight with cauliflower , best meal since I got this awful disease! Smoked haddock, half an onion, cauliflower, little water, double cream. Cook until cauliflower breaks up( at least 30 mins) deelish! You can pop in some smoked bacon chopped up small x
Thank you, saved that one.

Croc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sea filth!
My guilty pleasure.... Marks and Sparks sugar free rhubarb and custard drops! They're a bit pricey, about 80p for a little box (they are by the till), but you only need one to satisfy that sudden desperate sugar craving so they last for ages! They do strawberry and custard ones too..... :):):) Sue xxx

Never mind them, the butterscotch ones are lush!

Reactions: 4 people

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Looks like I'll have to visit m&s lol ....... ooooh what to choose.

I had a topless cottage pie with green beans and leeks mmmm

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aldi also do a good range of sugar free sweets - mints, fruits and butterscotch.

Reactions: 4 people

Pamzy2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People with bad manners
Hello, I would like to ask what to have to eat to get rid of my sugar pangs. Also, can I have chorizo and salami (I know they're processed), there seems to be a few recipes using these. Thank you

Hello, I make flapjacks which aren't overly sweet, and have Agave nectar instead of ordinary syrup in them. Recipe as follows:

150g butter
150g finely chopped hazelnuts
4 Tablespoons unsweetened apple juice
250g porridge oats
3 Tablespoons agave nectar

Preheat oven to 190 deg / Gas mark 5
Grease a rectangular baking tin (or other, doesn't matter) with butter and line with greaseproof paper (I don't use the greaseproof and has always worked fine for me
Melt the button a low hat on the stove in a pan. Stir in the hazelnuts, oats, apple juice and agave nectar
Press the mixture firmly into the tin with the back of a spoon and bake for 20-25 mins (sometimes a little more), until golden brown
Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 10 mins
Whilst still in the tin, cut into squares. Once completely cool reove the slices and keep in a tupperware container or a tin.

I add chopped, dried cranberries to the mixture too, or I imagine you could use any othe dried fruit (being aware of course of the effect that they may have on your BG). These little flapjacks have staved off cravings for sweets and pudding many a time for me. Hope you enjoy them.

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We don't have an Aldi that's local. We have Lidl. I check that out.

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, I make flapjacks which aren't overly sweet, and have Agave nectar instead of ordinary syrup in them. Recipe as follows:

150g butter
250g porridge oats

Preheat oven to 190 deg / Gas mark 5
Grease a rectangular baking tin (or other, doesn't matter) with butter and line with greaseproof paper (I don't use the greaseproof and has always worked fine for me
Melt the button a low hat on the stove in a pan. Stir in the hazelnuts, oats, apple juice and agave nectar
Press the mixture firmly into the tin with the back of a spoon and bake for 20-25 mins (sometimes a little more), until golden brown
Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 10 mins
Whilst still in the tin, cut into squares. Once completely cool reove the slices and keep in a tupperware container or a tin.

I add chopped, dried cranberries to the mixture too, or I imagine you could use any othe dried fruit (being aware of course of the effect that they may have on your BG). These little flapjacks have staved off cravings for sweets and pudding many a time for me. Hope you enjoy them.
Thank you very much Pamzy. I shall give that a go :)

Pamzy2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People with bad manners
Thank you very much Pamzy. I shall give that a go :)
You are very welcome Kim, hope you get on with them ok. I have been looking up Victoria Sponge cakes for diabetics on the net (oh yes, branching out now!!) as I really miss them - so when I've tested one I'll post if it's any good. Everything in moderation - even the sugar free "treats" like these! Pxx

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you like hot chocolate?

It's so simple, infinitely adjustable, and sometimes, it just hits the spot.

Low Carb Hot Choc
Boil kettle.
Add a heaped teasp of good quality cocoa powder to a big mug
Add 1.5 ish heaped teasp of sugar substitute to mug
Make the powders into a paste with a dribble of water (get rid of the lumps)
Add boiling water and stir until smooth
Top up with double cream.
Add caramel, lemon, orange or mint essences, if desired
Enjoy

All quantities adjustable

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I buy prosciutto aka Parma ham because it only has added salt no nitrates or fillers. The stuff with the gold crown on is the real deal. You can find out more about it here http://www.prosciuttodiparma.com/en_UK/prosciutto/how and usually, the cheapest place to buy it is Lidl qt 1.99. Morrisons also has small packs at £1.

Porkilicious is an organic peperami, the company Golfera does several organic hams and salamis which are good. Tesco does organic wafer thin ham, not sure Sainsbury's or Marks and Spencer do anything like that. Even if you buy organic, they usuallly have nitrate and often sulphates too.

I can't see the point of paying more and still getting additives so husband gets Lidl additive free gold crown prosciutto.

I don't eat sweet stuff other than the occasional grape or cherry from husband's fruit bowl. If I want a snack I scoff a whole organic Mozzarella or have some unsalted unshelled organic Sainsbury's pistachios.

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

150g butter
250g porridge oats

That's a lot of carbohydrate even though the sugar is reduced. I couldn't eat them without a big spike in my BG, but a diabetic on insulin would probably be OK with them ;)

Reactions: 3 people