Needles

Annabel_Eve

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

I know they say you should have a new needle every injection, but..just wondering, how often do you have new needles in your insulin pens?

Thanks all

AaronH83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use a fresh needle every time. I've got a Diasecure for each of my pens so it's fairly easy to carry them with me.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I use them 3 or 4 times or until they hurt or look bad when I air shoot.

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I use a new one every time for my daughter but I know my OH uses his a few times at least.

I don't understand why you wouldn't use a fresh one each time personally it's just unhygienic in my eyes

kpol2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Use a fresh one each time, unless you are travelling, and need to re use, only once or twice max. The more you use the needles, the higher the risk of infections.

Amy993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have used a fresh one each time but once, but when re-using that needle it did hurt a lot more

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I use one needle for a day e.g. 4 injections and have no problems whatsoever. As long as you remove the needle from the pen between injections the infection risk is just about zero when re-using. I wouldn't re-use one after a day's use. My reason for re-use is the cost to the NHS. Diabetes is an enormous cost to the NHS and I think we all need to control costs where we sensibly can.