Nerve pain/Circulatory issues

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hello again everyone, I'm sorry for my 3rd post in a week, i feel like I am overdoing it but I am worried.

after being told my vision issues were because I had brought my overall bloods down from 94 to 62 within 4 months, I suddenly began noticing I was experiencing pins and needles more often in my legs and arms (especially if I stood for too long or leant on something for a while).

I didn't worry initially, but now I notice my feet getting a weird pink colour sometimes, my legs absolutely kill when I walk, even the shortest of distances and I am absolutely puzzled! sometimes it feels as though little spiders are running up my legs, I have done a google search (I really shouldn't have, I know) and this is a nerve problem. I'm only 18 years old, so I'm pretty shocked at how awful my circulation appears to be, I have been neglecting my blood sugars for at least 7 years, and although I'm ashamed of this I have now regained control and my blood sugars are now rarely over 10, they used to be in the teens and twenties (when I bothered to check them).

I mentioned the pain to my nurse and asked if it was another side effect to the sudden tighten in blood glucose control and she said it was likely to be, can anyone confirm this please? I regained my new control in May, it has been 3 months and now my overall blood is the lowest it has ever been!..

I'm concerned though naturally and the nerve pain is really not helping my anxiety as I keep feeling it may be due to another underlying health problem, is it possible that the changes I've made to my lifestyle are causing these problems? I've read that tightening blood control can make nerves go all over the place! Thankyou ever so much in advance x

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If possible, keep a journal of when you feel your tingling and other symptoms and what you'd been doing beforehand, eg, walking, lying down etc... After a week or so, take it to an appointment with your GP. Your DN shouldn't have shrugged your concerns off like that, but isn't trained in the million and more things your GP will know.

While it's true that sweeping changes to our system can throw our bodies out of kilter, it's silly to say "could be" and move along - your symptoms need to be taken seriously whether they're diabetes related or not.

Also... stop worrying you're posting "too much" - it's what a forum is for, and it's lovely to hear from you :)

P.S. How was your night out?

x

Reactions: Philb69

Kevlar87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes
Hey Sam,
I too had really poor control for quite a number of years when I was younger (around 15 years ago) and I used to be in the high teens and 20s ALL the time!
I guess there may always be some kind of effect due to poor control but you're doing the right thing now in getting your BGs into shape! Well done! :D
The last few years I've had the same tingly sensations in my arms and legs but this only gets bad when I do weight training in the gym - I've not had the doctor relate the two but I agree with @SockFiddler to record everything and then take it to the doctor to see if these things are related! I think I will do the same too - and welcome to the forums - I haven't posted in a while but it's nice to see you in here! :D

Emmarose94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sam,

I think I know how your feeling. For the past couple of years I've neglected my blood sugars and did the whole stick my head in the sand and pretend it will go away. I've been doing much better lately and really brought my sugars down.
But in the past couple of months I have had right issues with my feet and calves and I think it's down to circulatory issues. I went from a job where I was on my feet all the time to a job sat at a desk all day. I brought this up with my diabetic nurse and she said she couldn't do much and to make an appointment with my GP.

So right now I'm just trying to keep them moving as much as possible. And thankfully I have a wonderful boyfriend who frequently massages them. If anyone has any suggestions to ease the aches and pains I'd be very grateful.

KiwiVagabond

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hello again everyone, I'm sorry for my 3rd post in a week, i feel like I am overdoing it but I am worried.

I agree with the sentiments someone wrote re don't worry about posting.....we really need to talk about these kinds of things and find ears that will understand and listen.....

This is my first post....5 months into my T2 journey.
What caught my eye was a similar concern re tingling feet and the worry of nerve damage.....and sometimes it feels like I can feel the blood going around in my body and its a bit painful.

My legs ache too.

My bloods are consistently below 10.......I am on Forxiga, cant do Metformin.

Not looking for answers here and doing my own research........but the ache and tingling is a constant reminder that there is something wrong with you, and accompanying thoughts of will I lose my legs, my feet......do I have to live with this....they are all in the background going round and round in the head.

I also know these are pathetic concerns compared to what people suffer and live with ....its just a bit new to me and thats why talking is good....connecting is good......

I hope for you what I hope for myself........finding some kind of solution and the mental fortitude to deal with it if nothing can be done.......
nice talking

Graham
nz

218evamae

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

after being told my vision issues were because I had brought my overall bloods down from 94 to 62 within 4 months, I suddenly began noticing I was experiencing pins and needles more often in my legs and arms (especially if I stood for too long or leant on something for a while).

I didn't worry initially, but now I notice my feet getting a weird pink colour sometimes, my legs absolutely kill when I walk, even the shortest of distances and I am absolutely puzzled! sometimes it feels as though little spiders are running up my legs, I have done a google search (I really shouldn't have, I know) and this is a nerve problem. I'm only 18 years old, so I'm pretty shocked at how awful my circulation appears to be, I have been neglecting my blood sugars for at least 7 years, and although I'm ashamed of this I have now regained control and my blood sugars are now rarely over 10, they used to be in the teens and twenties (when I bothered to check them).

I mentioned the pain to my nurse and asked if it was another side effect to the sudden tighten in blood glucose control and she said it was likely to be, can anyone confirm this please? I regained my new control in May, it has been 3 months and now my overall blood is the lowest it has ever been!..

I'm concerned though naturally and the nerve pain is really not helping my anxiety as I keep feeling it may be due to another underlying health problem, is it possible that the changes I've made to my lifestyle are causing these problems? I've read that tightening blood control can make nerves go all over the place! Thankyou ever so much in advance x

218evamae

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
For the past year I have been using DMSO. In the evening I wash my feet, dry them then with a Qtip I spread a small amount of DMSO gel over my toes and in between them. I then cover each foot with a clean plastic bag and then a sock. The pain disappears in lest than a minute and gives me up to 3 weeks of relief. In the morning I remove the bags and wash my feet again. My kid is in university taking Kinesiology and keeps saying this is wrong but it is the only thing that stops the pain and lasts for weeks. Read up on DMSO, it is cheap and it works and is safer than anything else.