New Cannula Issues.....

Henry_Sugar

Afternoon All,
It doesn't happen every time, but maybe 1/3 or 1/4 times when I place a new cannula on my stomach, my BG levels shoot up (to between 12/15mmol/L) for a few hours and eventually corrects itself. I'm just not sure why, maybe some infusion site issues ???
So, I'm just wondering if anybody else have been in this situation before, and if they had a solution?

Many thanks to anybody taking the time to reply, my setup is in my signature......

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Henry_Sugar Couple of things..

Any lumps in the area you're placing your cannula set ? Are you priming the insulin through the set fully (no air bubbles) ? Without knowing exactly what the issue is it's difficult to give an accurate solution, best to try and pinpoint exactly what the issue is first. Also what sets are you using ?

Reactions: Henry_Sugar

Henry_Sugar

Hello @Henry_Sugar Couple of things..

Any lumps in the area you're placing your cannula set ? Are you priming the insulin through the set fully (no air bubbles) ? Without knowing exactly what the issue is it's difficult to give an accurate solution, best to try and pinpoint exactly what the issue is first. Also what sets are you using ?
Hi there Juicyj,
No lumps anywhere on my stomach thankfully !!! Yeah, primed properly, I wait until 3 drops have come through and then fill the cannula as instructed. My set is the MiniMed Mio Advanced......

Hope this helps.....

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Just a thought but have you tried a different set - say Sure t which is steel tip, personally I never got on with mio's but with the sure t I had never had an issue - see if your DSN has any they can give you, sometimes just changing the type of set used will resolve the temporary high after changing.

Reactions: Henry_Sugar

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't like the Mio Advance, but I know many others think it's wonderful. Unfortunately I preferred the Mio which is no more.
I have also started having high BGs following a set change. I read online that others with the same problem add various amounts of extra insulin to the Fill Cannula amount. Everyone is different so I decided to start low, and raised the amount from 0.6 to 0.7 units when filling the cannula. That small increase was fine for me, but I am insulin sensitive.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was having similar issues so moved to a longer cannula set which seemed to fix mine.