New diagnosis/confused Mum!!

Juliet boxall

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there my name is juliet I was 48 when I found out I was type 1 and ended up on a life support machine in a coma for 11 days the doctors didn't think I would make it its been very hard for me and just as things started to go well I have just found out my son has it and it has just Brocken me I also have Addison s

KezG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tripe, most shellfish.. mussels, cockles etc...
Hi there my name is juliet I was 48 when I found out I was type 1 and ended up on a life support machine in a coma for 11 days the doctors didn't think I would make it its been very hard for me and just as things started to go well I have just found out my son has it and it has just Brocken me I also have Addison s
Hello and welcome to the Forum.. Sounds like you've had a really rough time.. I hope you can find comfort on this website.. there are lots of friendly people here who can give their advice and support should you ask for it.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

What a rocky road, Juliet.

I'm tagging @mahola here as she and her daughter were diagnosed within 2 weeks of each other, if I recall correctly.

Good luck with it all. It must be a real challenge for the whole family.

Juliet boxall

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there It really was I would to talk her I really hope she will get in touch with me .

fionaclare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm T1 and have never had insulin.

I was originally treated as T2 (metformin) and 6 weeks later when GAD came back positive I had reduced by Hb1ac to 54 from 84. So I stayed on this treatment.

At 3 months post diagnosis it had dropped further to 31 and at 6 months it was 32.

I have to eat low carb to maintain these levels, but I must have a reasonable reserve.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
sounds like prolonged honeymoon due to low carb

pearceam

Amy's mum here- it's been confirmed definitely type 1. Bit of a shock at 52 but I've seen how well Amy had coped so well I have an excellent teacher!

''Tis a bit of a shock. You almost had me convinced you'd be type 2. But here you go on another adventure and I'll be there every step! Diabuddy xx

We need to make sure that they get you an appointment with a consultant now. And we'll have to see about that genetic testing at some point.

Let me know if you want me at any appointments of course I'll be there xxx

Reactions: minx27