New diagnosis

Andybrookes90

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi my son has been diagnosed type 1 just 8 days ago. I feel so heartbroken about it. He's only 9 and he is really struggling to inject himself. He is happy for us to do it but just goes into meltdown when we ask him to do it. It is so hard as any parent just wants to protect their kids and not hurt them.
Any advice on how to make this easier would be appreciated.
Thanks Andy.

lisacp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed at the age of 29 do I cannot offer any advice from a personal level.
When I attended the Bervie course (diabetes education) I met a lady who had lived
with the condition from a young age. She spoke to us about some of the problems that she had encountered whilst growing up. I asked her what advice she would give to parents of young children who are diagnosed.
she said that her parents managed the condition for her and did not involve her in her injections carb counting ( you will learn about that one day soon)
Then one day when she was a teenager they left her at home for a few days and she got really sick. Her advice was to involve children and to let them take responsibility for their condition so that they know what to do. Obviously it is early days and you all have lots to learn but in time it will become second nature.
Sorry I know that this may answer your original question and I am sure that others may be able to offer you more advice.
Good luck

Andybrookes90

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Lisa. Yes the doctors tell us that's it's extremely important for him to manage himself asap. But it's so hard seeing the most precious thing in your life in pain and anguish. It's human nature just to wrap them in cotton wool.
Life can be so cruel.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I feel for you Andy.

I think one thing that may help is to understand that injecting is actually not that painful. There is a risk, as with anything you do with a child, that they will pick up on your own aversion. This could make your son more fearful than he needs to be.

If you haven't done this I suggest you and your partner practice inserting a fresh needle so you know how it feels. Most of the time it doesn't hurt at all. Sometimes it stings slightly if you are near a nerve. But the needles are so small, thin and sharp that it's typically painless.
Hope that helps a little.

Reactions: 4 people

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One piece of advice I can give is try and live the diabetic life alongside your child for a week or two. Inject yourself when he does (not with insulin obviously), test blood when he does, write it in a book etc, take hypo treatment if he has too, change your diet if necessary etc, plan your day if you are taking exercise or having a lazy day and what this will mean for your sugar levels.
I know it's not real for you but that will show support and will actually give you more of an idea of what it is actually like to live with this condition. I would feel honoured if one of my family or friends would do that for me just to get an idea of what we go through each day.
You can't fix what has happened but if he sees Dad doing it and being a bit of a hero it may help him along a bit. Sending some good thoughts your way for both you and your son

Reactions: 4 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey Andy - what a brilliant dad you are, you only want the best for him. I know it's a terrible shock when first diagnosed, however the care available now is first class and there is alot of support out there to help you. When first diagnosed it can consume your lives with so much information and so many thoughts going through your mind - it will and it does get alot easier.

My personal advice would be to buy a teddy or toy that he can practice injecting on, so his diabetes buddy, it will help him to transfer his fears and anxieties from himself onto another object and until he becomes comfortable doing it himself. As Spiker has said kids pick up on our anxieties so if it becomes stressful for him it will make it harder for him to self treat, so lots of positivity, talk through the benefits on him taking his insulin and try to make him feel that he is taking care of himself by doing so, try not to feed the consequences of not taking it.

He should in time get a pump which will make life alot easier as he can get on with school/sport etc without having to inject or think about his diabetes so much, in the meantime ask away, there's alot of advice/support here to help ;)

Reactions: 2 people