New Egg Research for Diabetes - Not good news!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I'm not a great egg lover but I know for a fact (my trusty meter tells me so) that when I eat a - very daring - two egg omelette, I get a lower BG reading than for many other meals.

I also l know for a fact that the older I get, the closer I am to death... but it won't be the eggs or even my diabetes that kill me off, I'm 100% sure it'll be the day my heart finally decides to give up beating. :D:wideyed:

Robbity

Reactions: 8 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a boiled egg for breakfast almost every day until my father was diagnosed with high cholesterol and high blood pressure (sedentary management job, lots of business lunches) when I was around ten.

Eggs disappeared from the menu, only had cooked breakfast on Christmas Day, rarely saw a boiled egg either.

Was lacto-ovo-vegetarian for fourteen years and eggs were a big part of my diet, but I'm more inclined to blame diabetes on filling up around the edges with soya, pasta, spuds, rice and bread when just married and skint for 5 years.

Husband et moi get through 12-18 organic eggs per week. We don't bake, so that's boiled, fried, frittata, omelette, sometimes poached, scrambled, en cocotte - eggs are so versatile.

I prefer eggs to most meat actually and I don't buy the whole cholesterol thing, because surely, Ancel Keys' 'research' is thoroughly discredited now ?

It's possible to buy all kinds of vegetarian and vegan junk now - dairy free desserts and chocolate, fake cheese, bacon, sausages, Quorn etc. A lot of it seems unhealthy to me, full of chemicals.

Reactions: 2 people

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Given all the conflicting studies I think it must be true that about 50% of the time eating an egg is good for your health, but equally, about 50% of the time it's bad for you. So the simple solution is to always eat two eggs, or at least to eat an even number of them. Thus the negative effects reported in one half of the studies exactly cancel with the positive effects reported in the other half. o_O

Egg producers already know this of course. Hence the reason that eggs are almost always sold in even numbers like 6 or 12 or 24. Kind of obvious when you really think about it. :p

Reactions: 15 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well at least the University of Eastern Finland have not asked for a subscription and have not quoted the famous "numerous studies" or "recent research shows" etc.

From that Mirror report the other day numerous studies said that eating 250g of carbs a day keeps you regular. I believe all of them but I still want to know how "numerous studies" carried out the research.

Reactions: 6 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Obviously, numerous (unnamed) studies are never wrong especially if reported by the Daily Mirror. I could loan you a spoon.

Noo that sounds horrendous. My digestion seems pretty fast actually. The Metformin Effect !