New Hba1c level

Wuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone I was diagnosed four months a go with a hba1c level of 90 and a high cholesterol of 6.9 I already had high blood pressure. I was put on 500 mg metformin slow release 2 twice a day no side effects and statins I was already on bp meds. I was also told to eat healthy and cut out sugar and there was no need to test. So after a chat with a friend I bought a meter and started testing then joined this forum and learned about low carb high fat so I started to do this diet.

I had some really bad side effects from the statins and a member on this site told me to look them up which I am very grateful for. I stopped taking the statins and it took about a month for the side effects to stop. My father is also type 2 and he suggested taking omega 3 as I don't eat much fish and to use rapeseed oil which I have been doing.

My BG readings didn't seem to be changing much or possibly not as quick as I wanted them to so my nurse put me on additional pills we went through three different ones until we found one that helped and I didn't have side effects to. I seem to have a low tolerance to medications.

Through this forum I was also advised on fruit and that I was eating far too much so I've cut this back to one piece or a few berries now and then.

My next Hba1c test was about three weeks a go now and it came in at 56 and my cholesterol in at 5.6 which I am over the moon about and my nurse is in shock that I have managed to get them down so well so soon. I have also lost 2 stone nearly 2 1/2. I feel amazing and like I have made a change in my life that I can live with. I am more active and motivation for life now where as before I was too tired and down to even want to bother.

They did find a problem with my kidneys filtration which should be 60 and is coming in at 46 so they are keeping an eye on that at the moment.

This is mainly down to the advice given on here and being told where to look and how to do things in English. I have come across the old oh you have to eat carbs to maintain a healthy diet my answer is I do it's in all the veg I eat. And I do have a small amount starch carbs in my diet but it's occasionally when I do I notice I'm tired feel bloated and it takes days for my fasting to get back down into the 6s from the 8s.

My BG levels are massively improved and now the highest I get are 8/9s and that's if I've been a bit naughty with the carbs. They were 17/18s. I know my next Hba1c will be even lower and I know I will continue to lose weight.

My advice would be to all the newbies which I am still one of because I've still got a long way to go, is low carb and healthy fat it all the way, research any meds they want to put you on take note of any side effects and mention them to your nurse. And test even if they say you don't need to. This forum is a god send because you will get the answers in a way that's easy to understand and easy to put into place. And no questions are daft you may feel like you are being silly but your not! If you don't ask you won't know!

So a big thanks to everyone on here that has answered my posts you have and are helping on my journey to control my health.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Excellent results @Wuz, well done! :)
And thanks for posting, it's always great to read success stories and inspirational for all of us.

Reactions: Robkww and Wuz

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done @Wuz. Well done on your achievements! I second what you say about this forum. I wouldn't be where I am now but for finding this forum. 3 x Metformin 500g/day, low carb diet and self testing has bought me from an HbA1c of 70 down to 45 along with over three stone weight loss. Like you I feel so much better in myself, I was diagnosed on a routine BP blood test, and didn't realise how poorly I was feeling til I felt better! I'm really looking forward to my next HbA1c!

Wuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you all, that's what I thought it's nice to read the good that can happen especially when your struggling and doubting yourself and I have had many of those moments over the last four months, and I probably will again. Reading positive post on this forum helped in those moments for me so I hope I've added to them

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat, meat substitutes and fish
Hi everyone I was diagnosed four months a go with a hba1c level of 90 and a high cholesterol of 6.9 I already had high blood pressure. I was put on 500 mg metformin slow release 2 twice a day no side effects and statins I was already on bp meds. I was also told to eat healthy and cut out sugar and there was no need to test. So after a chat with a friend I bought a meter and started testing then joined this forum and learned about low carb high fat so I started to do this diet.

I had some really bad side effects from the statins and a member on this site told me to look them up which I am very grateful for. I stopped taking the statins and it took about a month for the side effects to stop. My father is also type 2 and he suggested taking omega 3 as I don't eat much fish and to use rapeseed oil which I have been doing.

My BG readings didn't seem to be changing much or possibly not as quick as I wanted them to so my nurse put me on additional pills we went through three different ones until we found one that helped and I didn't have side effects to. I seem to have a low tolerance to medications.

Through this forum I was also advised on fruit and that I was eating far too much so I've cut this back to one piece or a few berries now and then.

My next Hba1c test was about three weeks a go now and it came in at 56 and my cholesterol in at 5.6 which I am over the moon about and my nurse is in shock that I have managed to get them down so well so soon. I have also lost 2 stone nearly 2 1/2. I feel amazing and like I have made a change in my life that I can live with. I am more active and motivation for life now where as before I was too tired and down to even want to bother.

They did find a problem with my kidneys filtration which should be 60 and is coming in at 46 so they are keeping an eye on that at the moment.

This is mainly down to the advice given on here and being told where to look and how to do things in English. I have come across the old oh you have to eat carbs to maintain a healthy diet my answer is I do it's in all the veg I eat. And I do have a small amount starch carbs in my diet but it's occasionally when I do I notice I'm tired feel bloated and it takes days for my fasting to get back down into the 6s from the 8s.

My BG levels are massively improved and now the highest I get are 8/9s and that's if I've been a bit naughty with the carbs. They were 17/18s. I know my next Hba1c will be even lower and I know I will continue to lose weight.

My advice would be to all the newbies which I am still one of because I've still got a long way to go, is low carb and healthy fat it all the way, research any meds they want to put you on take note of any side effects and mention them to your nurse. And test even if they say you don't need to. This forum is a god send because you will get the answers in a way that's easy to understand and easy to put into place. And no questions are daft you may feel like you are being silly but your not! If you don't ask you won't know!

So a big thanks to everyone on here that has answered my posts you have and are helping on my journey to control my health.

Wow, amazing results, well done. My cholesterol concerns me as the doctor wanted me to take statins and I flatly refused, rightly or wrongly I don't know, he tried to persuade me by saying that the benefits far outweigh the non-benefits but I was not convinced so did not take the prescription (left it on his desk) that was 18 months ago and he has not mentioned it since.

Wuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Wow, amazing results, well done. My cholesterol concerns me as the doctor wanted me to take statins and I flatly refused, rightly or wrongly I don't know, he tried to persuade me by saying that the benefits far outweigh the non-benefits but I was not convinced so did not take the prescription (left it on his desk) that was 18 months ago and he has not mentioned it since.

I had really bad side effects twitching fingers pains in my legs and feet and I got really confused on them but by just changing my diet introducing good fats and I take one omega 3 1000mg at night I have reduced all of the numbers to within the good diabetic range still on the high side a bit but it's coming down. My dad tried to tell me the same thing but I think we have enough to deal with without added side effects so this one i to was stubborn over. I did say if it didn't work I would try something else but it is so I don't need to.

Wuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well done @Wuz. Well done on your achievements! I second what you say about this forum. I wouldn't be where I am now but for finding this forum. 3 x Metformin 500g/day, low carb diet and self testing has bought me from an HbA1c of 70 down to 45 along with over three stone weight loss. Like you I feel so much better in myself, I was diagnosed on a routine BP blood test, and didn't realise how poorly I was feeling til I felt better! I'm really looking forward to my next HbA1c!

It's great isn't it. When I look back over the last few years to how I felt and I took it as I was getting old to how I feel now it's shocking. Fantastic results for you as well. I'm hoping for a 45 in November just before my birthday so fingers crossed.

Reactions: Rachox and Prem51

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat, meat substitutes and fish
I had really bad side effects twitching fingers pains in my legs and feet and I got really confused on them but by just changing my diet introducing good fats and I take one omega 3 1000mg at night I have reduced all of the numbers to within the good diabetic range still on the high side a bit but it's coming down. My dad tried to tell me the same thing but I think we have enough to deal with without added side effects so this one i to was stubborn over. I did say if it didn't work I would try something else but it is so I don't need to.

Thanks @Wuz I will try the omega 3, I don't eat fish at all so maybe that will help.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's great isn't it. When I look back over the last few years to how I felt and I took it as I was getting old to how I feel now it's shocking. Fantastic results for you as well. I'm hoping for a 45 in November just before my birthday so fingers crossed.
Me too! I just put it down to getting old as well!

Reactions: AM1874 and Wuz

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Wuz ..
Well done and many congrats on your excellent results so far .. this is not only a testament to your diet and lifestyle but to your dedication and commitment as well :happy::happy:

Reactions: Wuz

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Well done, you! Perhaps you could put your journey in the 'Success Stories' part of the forum? You deserve a post in there for your great results.

Reactions: Wuz

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Statins are known greatly to raise the probability of developing diabetes, especially in elderly women.
http://www.express.co.uk/life-style...betes-risk-pensioners-increased-heart-disease
No-one asks what they might be expected to do to those who are already diabetic. I am a woman of 75 and my recent HbA1c test was 41, so I on the very brink of pre-diabetes. (In America I would already be considered pre-diabetic.) Nonetheless a GP wanted me to take statins to lower my cholesterol, which is not terribly high. Luckily she referred me to the practice nurse to sort this, and she revealed for the first time how close I am to being diabetic. We were able to agree that in the circumstances, starting statins was not a good idea!